The Produce Refuse Supply Has Ended........

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Been a while since my last visit. A LOT of changes have been taking place in my little corner of the world. The family owned, independent grocery store (since 1956) I work for has been sold to FOOD GIANT. They took over on June 3rd. During the 2 1/2 hour employee orientation, FOOD GIANT made it painfully clear that they view ALL employees as thieves and cheaters and, pretty much, 311 out of the 320 "do's and don't, can's and can'ts" rules discussed, SCREAMED that belief. Soooo.......The supply has dried up.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gee, it is always so sad to see the small companies go... I hope you will at least be able to work there- without them driving you crazy? Your compost pile must be the size of a small mountain by now!

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lesa.....I'm planning on staying until I get "the phone call" from a company that has been in contact with me on a job that will be coming up soon. On the day of orientation, the long-time Produce manager (a 20+ year "veteran") quit and yesterday 2 long-time cashiers and the meat market manager (a 25+ year "veteran") walked out. My compost pile had gotten pretty big, but is already "dropped" to half size with all this heat.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
boggy, it looks like it's time for a change. Hope you get that new job soon.

Mary
Thanks Mary........It is, TOTALLY, time for a change. Not gonna work for ANYONE that doesn't trust me. I figure, if they have such a STRONG trust-issue thang.....it can only mean that they, themselves, can't be trusted.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
boggy...I so get what you mean. I used to work for Shop -n-Save Supermarkets. It was a great place to work. THEN... the name changed to Hannaford Supermarkets. It was still a decent place to work , but with the name change alone came a shift in atmosphere. THEN...Hannaford was bought out by Del Haize a Belgium company. HUGE changes took place, benefits changed, quotas changed, everything changed.

It was really tough. I worked for them for a total of 10 years and didn't leave due to the change, but rather not wanting to work nights, weekends and holidays any longer.

I worked in the Loss Prevention Department. (External theft, internal theft and other sources of loss) It sounds like where you work has been great and there are a lot of great people. But I can tell you from those years of experience..."people" do steal from their employers. I'm not saying that ALL people do or Most people do. But some do and it really does cost companies huge amounts of money. I could tell you some stories.

I guess all of this to encourage you...It's not you or your friends or your co-workers that they don't trust. But being that it is a big company, they have been down this road before and have taken many losses. Buy stating all of this stuff right up front, it gives everyone a clean playing field. No one can say, "I didn't know that it was wrong to take a sandwich from the deli every day and eat it for lunch without paying for it."

I know it seems like a personal attack especially to honest people. But at the end of the day, if you still like working with the people that work there, and you still like seeing your customers every day, and you still like the job you do...that part is not going to change.

I hope that you find peace in this or find a job that you feel better about all the way around. :hugs

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is an awful feeling to not feel trusted. I hope a change for the better is on it's way. Good Luck.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think Stubbornhill has some wise words.
Jobs are still hard to come by; the employers have had the advantage for the last 10 years or so. Many people are willing to work for far less than they should have to. And the employees are being told to do a lot more work, with fewer resources. I hope a change is coming, before everyone is back working for minimum wage again. Boggy, I hope you get that phone call soon!

Latest posts