These arn't bell peppers...

Anny

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I got "bell peppers" from my garden resource program this year. I have about 8 of them. I noticed the peppers growing on the plants the other day...and well they are not bell peppers!

Any one know what kind of pepper these are? Are they hot? What cn I used this type of pepper in?

1pepperwhatkind.jpg

EDIT: I should add that the pepper in this photo is about 5-6 inches long

Thank you!

noobiechickenlady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Looks like a cowhorn or banana pepper. The cowhorn & some bananas will be hot, sweet bananas will not.

ETA (because I didn't read it completely): You can use the sweet bananas on almost anything you would a bell. They have a similar taste IMO. Also good in a mild salsa. Cowhorn & hot banana you would use like any hot pepper, hot sauce, salsa, spicy chili, etc.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's difficult to say for sure, but it looks a lot like a chili pepper. Cow Horn. It is hot...if that's what it is. It will turn red when mature. You could always pick one now and cut it, give it a sniff or a taste and that will confirm the heat it may contain. Just be careful what you do after touching it. Wash your hands good. They make a nice string to add some color to your kitchen as well as practical use as pepper. :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
bid said:
It's difficult to say for sure, but it looks a lot like a chili pepper. Cow Horn. It is hot...if that's what it is. It will turn red when mature. You could always pick one now and cut it, give it a sniff or a taste and that will confirm the heat it may contain. Just be careful what you do after touching it. Wash your hands good. They make a nice string to add some color to your kitchen as well as practical use as pepper. :)
If it's not a chili, I'll be surprised. To most normal people they are hot. I've known people that eat them like candy. I eat them but not in place of candy..........:lol:

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I dunno, I've cooked with a lot of farmers-market-bought and store-boughten 'italian frying pepper' type peppers that look pretty similar to that. So while it COULD be hot, it doesn't HAVE to be. REgrettably there is no way to tell other than to taste a few (and it oughta be a few, as hot peppers often vary from individual fruit to individual fruit).

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I dunno, I've cooked with a lot of farmers-market-bought and store-boughten 'italian frying pepper' type peppers that look pretty similar to that. So while it COULD be hot, it doesn't HAVE to be. REgrettably there is no way to tell other than to taste a few (and it oughta be a few, as hot peppers often vary from individual fruit to individual fruit).

Good luck, have fun,

Pat
I agree

Latest posts