Thinking About Tomatoes Already

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Supposed to work for trees too. Just do it at night so the neighbors don't have you hauled off to the funny farm.
@thistlebloom, spanking fruit trees is an old time technique to get slow starters to get blooming. No need to sneak out at night if they are your trees in the first place. Permission should be sought before spanking someone else's plants.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder what @seedcorn thinks of heart-shaped. @Chickie'sMomaInNH , I hope you saved seed for King of Siberia. Tatiana doesn't show that there were any sellers of that variety. Maybe it will be a "new offering," somewhere again in 2015.

@Chickie'sMomaInNH 's appreciation of the hearts make me wonder why I have never, ever grown even one. They are supposed to be pretty darn tough plants, although the descriptions of "wispy foliage" doesn't make them sound that way.

I wonder if a Black Heart would be a good choice ...

Steve
i saved some seeds of the Korol Sibiri/King of Siberia this year. but i think i mixed some other yellow type seeds into the packet by mistake. i still have some of the original seeds left from last year's purchase just in case. i noticed there was someone on ebay selling the seeds this year while i was perusing the listings looking for some new varieties.

here's one person listing it on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161508018579?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

the guy i got mine from last year has them listed already: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Korol-Sibir...536?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d7911ab0

the 2015 seeds if you prefer: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Korol-Sibir...539?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27edaf88bb

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Chickie'sMomaInNH , that final eBay link is to someone only 30 miles from La Madera, home for that squash I grew this year! Somewhere in that corner of New Mexico, there is a gardening environment very similar to my own. The forests of southern Colorado convince me of that.

That's probably a weakness and strength for heirlooms. Broadly adaptable need not explain why they have been around so long. Rather, that heirlooms were comfortable where they were growing, staying healthy and productive there.

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
my dh had been to NM in the mountainous areas and said it was similar to our area. except, fewer trees the further up the mountains as he went to the observatory to drop off some data from UNH. (this was during the late 80's).

i have a list going of some varieties i'd like to get from that person. mostly they have oxhearts but some striped cherry and medium slicers that look good too.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry, @Chickie'sMomaInNH !

First eBay link not Final!

"Animasv," I think it was. Espanola, New Mexico. You might see the Wikipedia climate information. It's a little warmer summer there but about as dry. Your summers are quite a bit wetter than both of ours. La Madera doesn't have climate info. There's a farm there but I don't think they have retail sales.

Steve
who would like to blame spellchecker but either way, it was a slip of the digitS'

Latest posts