Thinking spring

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jack, i was amazed a few weeks ago when i went to UNH's open greenhouse and got to chat with one of their professors about the cantaloupes they had growing in there! it was neat to see them growing up instead of across ground. maybe you could eventually try them growing vertically in one of your greenhouses! they were using these little hammocks to support any melons on the vine, kept them nice, clean and unbruised!

Faith.M

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My kitchen Table has been taken over by pots of giant pumpkins and congo water melons! I cant wait for the snow to go and to get them into the green house. I found a couple of old packets of cantaloupe melon in my cupboard I think they might be two years old. I wonder if they are worth trying again. they did terrible in my Garden but the greenhouse Idea .... I like that! I am VERY new to gardening only been doing it for two years:)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow

Howdy Faith, and welcome to the forum!!!

2 year old cantaloupe seeds should be fine if they've been kept dry.

JackB is really an expert at artificial indoor growing with all the modern things and knowledge.

For storing small amounts of seeds i've found a sock drawer is ideal, cool and dry under the socks.

Make sure you remember your login stuff. Check out and browse around here, especially the topics old and new.

I used to work in a greenhouse. The cantaloupes in a greenhouse need to be in bright and warm conditions, and dry air seems to be better than moist air for them.

Faith.M

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thank you!!

Yes the seeds are very dry. No harm in trying I guess!
I am hoping my new stuff will survive being in the house with the two kids and two cats! Living in Canada there is no way I can start them off in the greenhouse.

Our season is so short and the first year I was here I made quite a name for myself as I was the only one around here that actually ended up with a pumpkin. I didn't do any last year but this year I am determind to grow a MONSTER!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good luck with that! The plants will be quite long for transplanting, and a helper would be good to do that, one to hold the vine, the other to do the rootball. Plenty of light and heat, and then at season end, some way to extend the season through September. In Montana I thought I did well growing rouge vif destampes cinderella pumpkins. Also did the white ones.

Latest posts