This is why I am bad at weeding

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I let the dandelions grow wild in my tomato beds......and the green beans..... and over by the oak stump....... in the corn....... Your poppies are prettier than the dandelions. :thumbsup

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Not a chance that I would pull those beauties! I try to appreciate most of mother natures ideas!
Well, I did pull lots of them. We could not have vegetables otherwise. I purchased the seeds originally, but they have self-seeded since. Fedco has double dark purple seed too, but I've had trouble getting them established.
If I can remember to save some seed this year, Smart Red, I can send some your way!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
What kind are they? I am not familiar enough with poppies to know. Shirley poppies? I know they are not the big perennial ones, nor California poppies.........I'd say they are not a bad "weed" to have!

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I got the poppy seed from Fedco, called Carnation Rose. It is not listed in the 2014 catalog because of a crop failure.
The 2013 catalog says (among other things): " A prolific self-sower. An old type of passalong plant; a mix was offered by J.M.M. McGullough's Sons 1885 seed catalog in Cincinnati, OH."

And from another website:

"Carnation poppies are sometimes referred to as peony poppies or opium poppies. They are a member of the Papaver somniferum and paeoniflorum family of poppies."

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
The ones that come up in my garden can not be transplanted. When I pull the seed heads after plant dies, I've had nothing but bad luck getting them to grow where I want them to. Instead sprout as weeds, but it leave them alone.

Bay, you and your dandelions! :rolleyes:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted some Black Swan poppies this year, from Baker Creek. They haven't bloomed yet (even though I started them indoors). I hope they'll reseed themselves too.

This is what they're supposed to look like...
Black-swan-Poppy-Flowers-web-fl591.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
If they do well, I should have some seed to share. I wish I had planted them earlier though. It seems fall/early spring is the best time.