Tiny tomatoes

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, if an upside down tomato planter sold like crazy (add your own tomato plants) I see no reason why tiny tomatoes wouldn't sell too! :gig

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder how many tomatoes it would take to make a bushel, but I don't want to be the one who must pick them to find out. :hide

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@jackb , that tomato is just too cute! My grand daughter is making a fairy garden and I thought how cool would that be to have some veges in it. Well I did some poking around and found 'Micro Tom' ...(might this be the one you grew @thistlebloom ?) I may try that one. Now I need a dwarf pepper that's not hot and I think there's a small sweet basil that would work. Thanks much for this idea!

Anyway, while I was poking I ran across info on other micros, could it be that your Florida Petite is not available through a commercial breeder/vendor, making it scarce?
Vegetable Cultivars (tomato A-L)
There are a few other micros on that list that are also exclusive U of Fl. including Micro Tina, the 'space tomato'...

more info on Micro Tina

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
@jackb , that tomato is just too cute! My grand daughter is making a fairy garden and I thought how cool would that be to have some veges in it. Well I did some poking around and found 'Micro Tom' ...(might this be the one you grew @thistlebloom ?) I may try that one. Now I need a dwarf pepper that's not hot and I think there's a small sweet basil that would work. Thanks much for this idea!

Anyway, while I was poking I ran across info on other micros, could it be that your Florida Petite is not available through a commercial breeder/vendor, making it scarce?
Vegetable Cultivars (tomato A-L)
There are a few other micros on that list that are also exclusive U of Fl. including Micro Tina, the 'space tomato'...

more info on Micro Tina

The tomato I am growing is definitely the Florida Petite, the label is still in the packet. When I purchased the seeds I also purchased Micro Tom seeds from Tomato Growers Supply, but they have not had the Petite for several years now. I also bought seeds for a small eggplant, however, the eggplants turned out to be small and bitter, but, the plant itself was near normal size. Why this variety is no longer is available is a mystery to me.

jackb

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The tomato I am growing is definitely the Florida Petite, the label is still in the packet. When I purchased the seeds I also purchased Micro Tom seeds from Tomato Growers Supply, but they have not had the Petite for several years now. I also bought seeds for a small eggplant, however, the eggplants turned out to be small and bitter, but, the plant itself was near normal size. Why this variety is no longer is available is a mystery to me.

jackb

Yes, I ran into an old article that mentioned Tomato Growers Supply as a source for Florida Petite. I wonder if contacting that company would lead to answers as to why it isn't available?

I was commenting to @thistlebloom, wondering if Micro Tom was the mini tomato she had tried.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, I ran into an old article that mentioned Tomato Growers Supply as a source for Florida Petite. I wonder if contacting that company would lead to answers as to why it isn't available?

I was commenting to @thistlebloom, wondering if Micro Tom was the mini tomato she had tried.

I wish I knew! That doesn't sound familiar though.
I shouldn't even attempt a guess. I bought it as a 4" pot at a nursery.
I bought a tiny one the year before from the same nursery, but I'm certain it was a different variety.

I found a picture, for scale the tractor chick is 3" tall to the top of her head.

SUNSET, tOES, FLOWERS 008.JPG

And this one below,
which was from 2012 is Red Robin, not a truly tiny tomato, but a dwarf, and pretty small when mature.

062.JPG

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and photos! @thistlebloom. Your tractor chick cracks me up!
I think I will try the Micro Tom since I can find the seed easily, says 5-8" tall. If it gets too tall we can sit a fairy on a tractor to make her look taller. :D

Latest posts