Today's garlic harvest

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't have a clue what types these are. I just planted some from the grocery store that had nice big cloves on them. None of these got scapes, but I just pull them when they have turned about half brown and start laying over. These need to hurry up and cure - just ran out of garlic in the kitchen!

timberlane

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Don't forget to eat the scapes if you get them. They are great in salads, fried with potatoes and in soups. Anything you like garlic flavor in.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I harvested mine last week. I don't know what they were, but no scapes either. They simply all turned brown. They are mild and have stripes. YUM! We're eating fresh garlic in about everything now! Chard and garlic; kale and garlic; smashed garlic on the chicken thighs; and so on and so on....

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
My garlic plants look good, but are starting to yellow up a bit.
allium bed onions et al..JPG
All the alliums are in the same bed -- three varieties of onion, scallions, shallots, garlic, and leeks. There are a few cole babies interplanted with them.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smart Red, I like the way you have the grass and clover growing naturally between the beds. I'm assuming you still have to mow it? Those onions sure look nice.

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you, @ninnymary. Yes, I do have to mow .. .. .. and mow .. .. .. and mow. I was just out there trying to figure out a way to cover the space between the rows. While it does look good after a mowing and it is clean to walk on, I have difficulty getting the push mower around the outside fencing and inside paths. Too much work when paper or plastic just might solve my problem.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ok so I am new to garlic! the scapes are the little garlic clove things on the top? mine are huge!! and the greenery is still very green! I only have a few since this is my first time but I think they are coming along nicely.
correct me if I am wrong, cut the scapes off now and then wait till the plant starts to wilt before gathering the garlic??

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you, @ninnymary. Yes, I do have to mow .. .. .. and mow .. .. .. and mow. I was just out there trying to figure out a way to cover the space between the rows. While it does look good after a mowing and it is clean to walk on, I have difficulty getting the push mower around the outside fencing and inside paths. Too much work when paper or plastic just might solve my problem.
You use a push mower? :ep Now I'm really impressed!

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
When we planned the paths we used a push mower. The lawn tractor takes a 50" swath and that's a lot of wasted space. We even tried the mower and wheel barrows before we put up the fence. Unfortunately, once the 4' fencing was up there wasn't enough room to turn the corners. DH has even discussed getting a smaller mower to make it easier to get around. I want something on the ground so I don't have to mow.

Oh, no, it was a power mower that I had to push, not a reel mower. Although I suspect a reel mower might get around easier. Push mower mistake -- I'm not that eager.

Latest posts