Tomato, Heirloom!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Mauldintiger I cut the bottom horizontal off so I can stick the ends of the cattle panel in the ground to help stabilize it. I've switched to T-posts from the stakes I started with, I move it to different parts of the garden each year and T-posts just work better. I cut mine into 8' sections just to make them easier to work with. Well, actually more like 7-1/2' and 8-1/2' since there is a vertical exactly at 8'. I overlap mine which it looks like you do to get height. At the top I wire on a 2' piece of wood to stabilize it and keep them from sagging together. I think that strengthens it a bunch against wind too.

End View.JPG

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Where I raised mine up 18" above the ground on the tpost, you stacked the 4' side of the panels on top of each other? Or did you turn the 8' side vertical?
I put up my 16' by myself last year, got some help this year!
Great idea about wiring the tops together!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I stack them one over the other, overlapping maybe 18" and tying them together with wire from the wheat straw bales. It makes it a little hard to reach through certain areas because the mesh doesn't mesh, but I mat try turning the top upside down this year to see if that opens those overlapped openings a bit. They still won't mesh perfectly.

On another section I may try to do your way, raise the bottom up off the ground some and not stack it. I'll have some Supersauce from Burpee this year and although they are called indeterminant they normally don't get that tall.

It seems like I'm always trying something different.