Tomatoes and Green Peppers from my garden in November

Veggie PAK

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I can't believe that I'm still getting tomatoes and green peppers from my organic vegetable garden here in Virginia! I got 3 and 1/4 pounds of tomatoes with 9 tomatoes and almost six pounds of green peppers with 60 peppers this week! We've had three successive heavy frosts, so I'm sure the tomatoes are about finished. The tops of the tomato vines look terrible (like limp dish cloths), but the pepper plants don't look like it bothered them at all. Maybe they tolerate the cold better.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good for you! This late season harvesting will certainly make winter seem shorter. Of course, here in zone 4, our tomatoes and peppers have been gone for awhile- but I am still harvesting cold weather crops. Usually pepper plants turn black on the first frost. This was not the case for mine this year- they kept producing for a few weeks after frost, then they turned the expected black!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The last of my fresh peppers out of the fridge were used in a casserole over a week ago. Leftover casserole was then frozen . . .

I saw DW send DD home with a package of it last night.

The last of my "fresh" tomatoes are in a basket on the kitchen table. Two of them are Thessaloniki which has long been my best keeper. Most heirlooms go from ripe to over-ripe very quickly but not that one.

Fresh, Thessaloniki has a parsley flavor to me :p. Isn't that weird? It's okay tho' and that flavor isn't apparent in the ones that ripen in the kitchen. Of course, since these were picked October 18th (!), which was very late for a first frost here, they don't have much flavor, anyway :rolleyes:.

A couple of days ago, I fried some onion with bacon then tossed in chopped tomatoes. That went in omelets. To add a little extra flavor, I used sour cream instead of beating milk into the eggs. The skin on the tomatoes was nice and tender but I squeezed out most of the seeds.

I'm sorry, Veggie PAK . . . kind of got lost in tomato dreams there . . . My tomato garden is a seriously depressing sight right now so I think I'll go stare at the basket in the kitchen :).

Steve
Hey! The Totally Tomatoes catalog came yesterday!

Latest posts