Tomatoes froze but are still alive

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Some of my tomato plants got caught in a freee and they looked quite dead until the other day they started putting out green leaf suckers at the joints of the original larger leaves. I pulled most of them and put new plants in but I saved 2 to see what would happen

Do you think there is any hope for them or should I just go ahead and pull them?

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Where are you that you had a freeze this late in the season... I would see how the damaged ones do especially as you have replaced most of them...you may get lucky...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to my tomatoes last year Mackay. Mine came back and grew tomatoes, but my season wasn't long enough for them to ripen. I say leave them in and give them a chance.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
the book I go by ( :lol: ) because I know so little about vegetable gardening, says they will never have the vigor they need once bitten like that. where are you that you got a freeze? hard to imagine. it was a nice cool 90 here today. we've been having a cool front the last few days. it was 68 degrees this morning. it was fabulous

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
bj taylor said:
the book I go by ( :lol: ) because I know so little about vegetable gardening, says they will never have the vigor they need once bitten like that. where are you that you got a freeze? hard to imagine. it was a nice cool 90 here today. we've been having a cool front the last few days. it was 68 degrees this morning. it was fabulous
That's funny BJ, your cool front is our heat wave!

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OK, I took advice and left some of them in and they did come back and are now loaded with tomatoes1 I doubt that they will have enough time to ripen on the vine so I'll be picking them green in a week or so.