Too late for these perennials?

rmonge00

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Is it too late to buy and plant the folowing perennials:

rhubarb

horseradish

asparagus (I know it would have already sprouted - but if I plant it now, will it come up next year?)

What do people think?

Ryan

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
rmonge00 said:
Is it too late to buy and plant the folowing perennials:

rhubarb

horseradish

asparagus (I know it would have already sprouted - but if I plant it now, will it come up next year?)

What do people think?

Ryan
Probably not too late depending on your location - where are you? Up here in the frozen Northeast I can still find these at local garden centers.

rmonge00

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Western Washingotn - yes I should just look at what they have selling in garden centers...

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Never too late to plant them if they are purchased potted-and-growing, although they take more care when planted in hotter weather with larger am'ts of foliage already grown.

Asparagus, though, is almost always sold bareroot and any that are still *available* bareroot right now are almost certainly gonna be deaders. So unless you know someone who will let you go digging in their 'sparagus bed -- in which case it'd probably be better to wait til fall when the foliage yellows out -- you may be s.o.l. for asparagus-planting this year.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is probably late for any harvest this year, but if you can find them potted and growing, they should be good for next year. Ruhbarb at my house north of Seattle has not only grown out, but also has been harvested for the year. The rest of the year they will grow green to store up for winter besides a few branches I'll take here and there.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Actually, Pat, I've got a nice flat of six Purple Knight (same as what I've already got growing out there) asparagus plants I just bought at a local nursery up in New Hampshire - people do grow them from seed. I'm going to use them to fill in the blanks out there in my bed. Of course there will be no harvest from them for several years, but that's ok, I've got plants producing already out there.

The rhubarb shouldn't be harvested next year, either, if you plant it this year, give them time to get nicely established and your grandchildren will be harvesting from them!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
Actually, Pat, I've got a nice flat of six Purple Knight (same as what I've already got growing out there) asparagus plants I just bought at a local nursery up in New Hampshire
Hey, that's cool! I've never seen them sold green but then I can't say I've ever really LOOKED either come to think of it! :)

Pat

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Reinbeau said:
Actually, Pat, I've got a nice flat of six Purple Knight (same as what I've already got growing out there) asparagus plants I just bought at a local nursery up in New Hampshire
Hey, that's cool! I've never seen them sold green but then I can't say I've ever really LOOKED either come to think of it! :)

Pat
I was pretty surprised myself - but pleased! They're going in the ground probably tomorrow.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just transplanted 60+ asparagus, 6 rhubarb in last week, some yesterday, seem to be doing fine. Keep them watered which this year it would be harder to get them dry......

Horseradish you can't kill. Not even my chickens can in their pen.

Latest posts