Too Late to Plant Beans?

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Is it too late to plant beans in the more northern areas of the US (Midwest)? Just planted about another half pound of seed and I'm wondering if they're going to make it to produce dry seed.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
May be cutting it close for dry. I'm left with 70 more growing days here in 6B. Maybe it would work to pull the whole plant and bring inside to hang to dry the day before they call for frost.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I planted snap beans here now August 8th in my zone 5 northern Illinois climate. I might get one picking before our first frost hits about the 10th to the 15th of October. If I planted dry bush beans today and we had the same day length for the next few months that we had in July and August I would be able harvest my first dry pods about the 10th of November and harvest the entire crop of dry bush beans by about the 10th of December. Simply not going to happen. For dry bush beans here my cut off date is about the 20th of June. For dry pole seed my cut off is about the 7th of June.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We're these the Top Crop that you had mentioned in your other thread? If so, I grew a 40 foot row of them this year and I can send you some if yours don't turn out. Just let me know!