turnip greens???

miron28

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I planted turnip greens the other day is this what they look like when they sprout? this is my first year growing them i am doing a fall garden. never even had them before but my neighbor loves them. so if i don't like them i will give them to him.

6307_8-27-2009_003.jpg

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I never had turnip greens but I might try them. Are they like Kale? I tried to cook Kale once (or maybe it was mustard greens) and it was really bitter.

miron28

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
sweet.... doing good then hopefully they make it all the way should i cover them when it gets could out??? how long before they will be ready to be picked?

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
miron28 said:
sweet.... doing good then hopefully they make it all the way should i cover them when it gets could out??? how long before they will be ready to be picked?
I am not sure how cold your winters are but I can grow them here until December as long as you keep frost off they can handle quite a bit of cold! cover them if you anticipate a frost ..but like most greens they get sweeter if they get a nip of cold on them

my winter greens are the best ever!

I bet you can grow them where you live most of the year

you can also make soups like minestrone and add turnip greens ..I think they are one of the tastiest greens ever and talk about good for you! if you get the tiny marble sized turnips on the end and they are even better

I just love olive oil and garlic on them it then eat with crusty french bread and a sprinkle of good parm you will be very happy with yourself

of course then there is cooking them with a really good bacon

and corn bread

they are hearty fall winter food :) keep us posted!

they grow pretty quick maybe 6 weeks? I am guessing you can start with the babies ..I dont thin I just pick and eat them as they grow.. as I eat the babies the plants get larger and larger ..it is thinning and using at the same time!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm planting a turnip variety that matures in 4 weeks not too bad for turnips.

Latest posts