Turnips, turnips, turnips

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How do you cook them? Oh, and broccoli. First time to harvest both. edited to say, I can't believe how much better tasting and better looking home grown broccoli is!!

4898_hpim2117.jpg

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
they are good raw, steamed, boiled like potatoes.

They do good luck.

dinahmoe

Leafing Out
Reaction score
i put mine in a pressure cooker with a hamhock.i cut the root off and then the stem out and put in just the leaves for 20min.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat for turnips anyway. This was my first year for them too. I cooked one the other day cut it into thirds (it was huge) and baked it in a covered pan in the oven, it was okay, but not great. I've got a ton more to prepare and better figure out a tastier way or my husband will revolt! :lol:

I have an additional turnip question, hope you don't mind, when you store them do you wash the dirt off first or not?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice looking harvest! That broccoli looks fabulous- my heads aren't usually that tight. The taste difference is amazing, isn't it? I plan on growing turnips next year... I like to add them to a slow cook roast.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Try boiling the larger ones and mixing them into your mashed potatos. You can also mash them, mix with some bread crumbs and an egg and fry them as fritters.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just pulled up some turnips from the garden this past weekend. I used them in a soup and they came out pretty good. Their really good for using in soups, by the way! :D

Latest posts