Understanding groundwater and wells

Gaz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
When we bought our farm in Maine it had a dug well....and we found a second well. I worries about this...and decided I needed to do some research so I know what it was all about....

So here is summer for other to help them understand the basics of groundwater and wells

http://www.almostafarmer.com/groundwater-wells/

I hope this helps folks

Gaz
www.almostafarmer.com

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have a situation much like that now, Gaz. It goes along with our property dispute. I recently had a conversation with someone in a restaurant who mentioned he did some work near my home. It seems the neighbor had an unused well that he had filled in rather than capped properly. My next phone call will be going to the County to check out the safety. This is in a spot that may be inundated with water, manure, and chemical run-off from neighboring fields. Doesn't sound safe to me.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
As a city boy I never gave a thought to clean water. When I found out country house I was buying had a well I thought great no water bill.When I first turned on the water I almost threw up the smell was so bad, like rotten eggs. I sent a smaple to a lab and couldn't believe it came back drinkable!! I didn't even want to shower in it. Ended up with several thousand dollar water purifing set up. Would have rather had monthly water bll.

Latest posts