UPDATE, I'm gonna go for it!!!!!!!!

countrygirl4513

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I finally found some strawberry slips so I'm gonna try a fall planting. I'm getting Chandler and Sweet Charlie. They ship @ mid Oct.
Has anyone tried this before? A fall planting? I'm in TN and I'm hoping they take. I'm gonna try hilling them with black plastic, but I'm not sure what type to get. Anyone have any info?

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OMG,

This is perfect, they will set root all winter and then once Spring comes they are just going to EXPLODE with growth and blooms and fruit!

I bet it is going to be like Magic! Everyday a bit more Magic when suddenly it happens! Bowls of Strawberries! :ya

Ron

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I stick strawberries in all times of year all over the place and they are hardy and do very well! I agree you will do fine plant with reckless abandon!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That rocks.... Good luck... Just think of all the jam you will get. I canned like 3 batches this year and the kids ate them all ready....(ok I may have helped. but in my defense pancakes with sour cream and preserves is awesome for breakfast, lunch, and dinner)...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, go for it! :celebrate

I like to stick a few runners straight into my compost pile to boost them, then I transplant them in the fall. If you've got the crowns at the right depth, they'll do fine! Don't cover them with straw/mulch until after the ground first freezes though. The freezing isn't what will get them, heaving out with the freeze/thaw cycles throughout the winter will. You're zone 6 too right?

countrygirl4513

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm in 6a-6b according to USDA.
Has anyone ever used the black plastic? I'm not sure when you should use it. Do I use it when I put them in? I want to do the hill method. Any advice would be appreciated.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
my advice stick them in the ground put straw around them and that is it :) good luck

I do know you should rotate them because of disease every couple of years I guess so I do that but mostly I just keep sticking them in all over the place in walls under rocks as ground cover then in the fall mulch well and let them care for themselves!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

This post confuses me everyday this week! Every time I look down the list of new topics and updated discussion I see "I am going to go for it" .....and in all my aged brain cells I can never remember what it is that you are going to "go for".

So everyday, several times a day, I click in here and say "oh that's right, strawberries" LOL ... my poor brain ! :old

I wonder if this is a sign of things to come? I always knew my days would end wandering in a garden, now I really get it! :frow

Ron

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Funny enough I have done the very same thing a few times now.
I keep clicking on this thread to see what she is going to go for and then I remember oh yeah the strawberries.

I just snipped some runners today and put them around the garden.
I am keeping my fingers crossed that they do well over the winter.
I planted a 3x16 foot bed of strawberries this past spring and they are still going strong and filling out very nicely.
I did the same thing last year but my husband thought he would "help" me get the garden ready and tilled that bed so I had to start all over.
These plants that I bought this past spring were healthier and more robust anyway so its all good.

countrygirl4513

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Just wanted to update.
My strawberries...they ALL took! Once Ison's finally got them here, they were fantastic slips. I had already worked the ground, made semi raised beds, covered it with landscape fabric, mulched the aisles with pine mulch, so I was ready to go when they arrived. The ground had a chance to warm up and the soil was great. I set them around 2 1/2 weeks ago and I checked them the other day... BAM!!! they all had shoots on them! I nipped them off so the roots could concentrate on growing, so I guess I'll be the first in my area to try this fall plant. Everyone thinks I'm nuts but I hope to be the one saying HA HA! come spring time.

Latest posts