Updates from A Bit of Earth

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We were walking around Fairfield Lake in NC last Tuesday when I had an inspiration. I've been trying to think of a name for my gardens for years. I love the johnny-jump-ups that come up in the spring, and I particularly like one of the names for them, Heart's ease - because they do set my heart and mind at ease, breathing in their faint sweet scent. But it just didn't work, I couldn't think of a good way to phrase it. Couldn't imagine our honey label. Then I considered using the Reinbeau name, it's a combo of both of our names, but he wasn't thrilled with it.

Then it struck me - a bit of earth. Bit of Earth Farm. That's what I've got here, just a bit of earth, a tiny .6 acre yard that I've worked for almost 30 years now. I've got gardens, honeybees and this spring will have chickens - so it will be a bit of a farm, too! I've got a glimmer of the label design in my head - Bit of Earth Honey. Greg loves the name, too!

100 points to whoever first identifies where this name came from - and I'll finish my story

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
ooooh, oooooh maybe I know, Ann!!

Wikipedia says that they were candy bars made up "of almond bits embedded in a honey-flavored taffy" and I guess that might be right - Is the answer, Bit-o-Honey!?!

:tools

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, no, that's not it at all, but good try! :dance

A hint: it's from my favorite book.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
jc12551 said:
The Secret Garden by Burnett
Bingo! :weee I've read that book several times, I just love it. When mom and I went to England ten years ago or so I was enchanted by a robin, just as described in the book, who followed me through one of the trust gardens we visited. How I wish I could have a walled garden like that - I do, in my dreams!

You must be a true gardener, JC!

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That's a nice name, Reinbeau. I'm fascinated with the courtyards in the Battery area of Charleston, SC. I'd love to be able to explore every one (and the houses too!)

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've always marveled at how my mind works - or doesn't.

I've been feeling under siege for quite awhile now. Since Lyme disease, and economic woes, weakened joints, generally feeling my age, I've been staying away from this forum, which is seriously my favorite garden home and forum on the internet. I'd also not been as actively gardening, which is why I stayed away - because it made me sad.

Well, things have changed. My health is better (although I think I'll always have to cycle the doxycycline, as I am constantly being bitten by deer ticks, they can't test me, so I just go on the meds), my job situation has settled down, and I'm once again enjoying my garden. Hopefully being a stranger won't be an option for me anymore :)

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
I've always marveled at how my mind works - or doesn't.

I've been feeling under siege for quite awhile now. Since Lyme disease, and economic woes, weakened joints, generally feeling my age, I've been staying away from this forum, which is seriously my favorite garden home and forum on the internet. I'd also not been as actively gardening, which is why I stayed away - because it made me sad.

Well, things have changed. My health is better (although I think I'll always have to cycle the doxycycline, as I am constantly being bitten by deer ticks, they can't test me, so I just go on the meds), my job situation has settled down, and I'm once again enjoying my garden. Hopefully being a stranger won't be an option for me anymore :)
So happy you are back! I already learned something from your garlic comments.. you are needed. And, I totally agree, this is the best forum on the net!!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome back, Reinbeau. :frow I'd wondered where you were. :happy_flower

Lyme disease is no joke. I have to worry about that here and hate use that Deep Woods Off nasty stuff when I go into the woods, but you have to, it's the only thing that really works. Sorry to hear you've been down with it.

Do you still have your bees? :bee

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Back! Glad you are back in the garden- so good for the health of the mind and body...

Latest posts