Vermi-compost or worm castings?

jasonvivier

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Anyone using this? In research on the web I found them to be pretty expensive compared to other organic fertilizers and I don't have room to grow my own. One website was pretty good in explaining the benefits and he happened to be from SC, called him and he was about 15 minutes from my office and was willing to make a deal if I picked up 10 bags (they are about 20lbs. each) at one time. So I did and have been applying it with my cold season transplants and seeds as I planted them. He also said I could apply it with a drop spreader at 4 lbs per 100 sq. ft. but I just decided to put it in with the plants and seeds. To early to see a difference, but everything looks good right now.

My experience is:

I use worm castings (and spent coffee grounds) everywhere.

I setup a wheel barrel with composting worms in the garage (ding! +1 lazy point). I cover the worms with something lite and add any of the house scraps to the barrel. In the beginning of the fall I shovel out the castings and the worms all over the garden (ding! +2 lazy points).

When next spring comes around I shred fall leaves up ( that I didn't bother picking up in fall ) with the leaf shredder extension on my leaf blower (ding!) and I mix in the left over worm castings and make a mulch 50% leaves + 50% castings. I direct sow my greens and herbs (ding!) and then cover them with the mulch (ding!).

I have found that I have plenty of composting worms left under the fall leaves this spring that were not winter killed (because I don't rake up my leaves, ) that this year I'll collect them from the garden (ding! point for avoiding the store) and put them in my wheel barrel. I shouldn't have to purchase composting worms ever again.

When all is said and done I produce about four bag$ of worm castings in a season. I would like to talk to a local restaurant and expand producing in the garage this year.

That is a total of 6 lazy points.

Here is a picture of the mulch
Capture.PNG

Latest posts