vermiponics, aquaponics

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That seems super complicated! I would love to see a picture... Do keep us posted and let us know your success! I am always fascinated by worms-but then I think- how many castings can a worm bin produce?? Is is really enough to use on a large garden?

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just the opposite, it is ultra simple. It literally take seconds to tend to it, and has no moving parts, mechanics, or pumps. If I put a system outside and full size I will switch to a more automated system w/ pumps, timers, etc... But didn't want to put the expense to an experiment I wasn't sure would even work.

7236_dsc_0446.jpg

7236_dsc_0451.jpg

7236_dsc_0452.jpg

7236_dsc_0454.jpg

7236_dsc_0465.jpg

7236_dsc_0467.jpg

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Id get some zebra danios to put in the blue tub. They are EXTREMELY tolerant little buggers that most pet stores will sell for a dollar a piece or less. You could stock with 2 per gallon and help give you a natural source for nitrogen. They won't require a heater and will eat a simple flake food.

Nice pics looks like its going well for you

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll look for the zebra's. It is going extremely well, all the plants are growing well, all have 2 or more leaf sets on them (well except chives). They are a bit leggy, but I think that was my fault not adding the grow light soon enough. It has been super easy to take care of just a few minutes about 3 times a day. If it keeps us this great, I'll have to get busy w/ some big outdoor plans!

jasn.kennedy

Sprout
Reaction score
I also use fish tank water is rich in nitrates. Whenever I need to go to the top had identified several gallons of water an established fish tank, and made a big difference compared to other hydroponic set up it is only tap water.

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
One good source, if you don't mind, that I stumbled upon last fall was the site below :

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/magazine.html

I was able to download a magazine issue or two for free at the time -- it's a great magazine that covers the ins-n-outs of the hobby.. They've also got some forums and other things on that site that might be of interest if you decide to expand to something outside on a larger scale.. Any more recent photo's? I've got a large 50+ gallon aquarium that is DOA (nothing living in it but slightly stagnant water) and could be repurposed for something like this..

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The greens did very well, still harvesting and eating salads from them, the chives did almost nothing, they did sprout but never anything anywhere near harvestable, the raab broccoli headed very poorly, but the leaves are pretty tasty. The chard stems did not beef up well, but did remain small and tender and great for salads.

I have continued to do some research on the topic and am definately going to attempt a form of this outside this spring/summer. But I think I'm going to modify it to a simpler less expensive form for outside.

I plan on a childs swimming pool and a sheet of 2" styrofoam floating on top w/ holes and placing styrofoam cups in the holes and the plants planted in those cups w/ roots dangling in the water. This will have an airstone in the water to keep it from anarobic, but no moving of water from one tank to another. With this method I'll have to give up on the worm part, but the set up and running will be much less $$$$$$ and I am still in the experimenting stage to see what works best for me.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That sounds like a good setup.

As for weak stems, when I start seeds inside, I run a fan in the room. It strengthens the stems as well as keeps dampening off issues to a minimum.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:

As for weak stems, when I start seeds inside, I run a fan in the room. It strengthens the steams as well as keeps dampening off issues to a minimum.
That is a great idea, thanks.

brandylorton

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Kassaundra said:
wifezilla said:

As for weak stems, when I start seeds inside, I run a fan in the room. It strengthens the steams as well as keeps dampening off issues to a minimum.
That is a great idea, thanks.
I would like to thank both of you. As you have provided some of the nice information. The whole discussion was so much informative and i is goign to help me alot in the near future as i am also going to develop a multiple system.

Latest posts