very bad day (Graphic Pictures)

miron28

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
well i took a fence down and it had a bunch of vines on it so i thought i would just burn it and then just get rid of what was left!! well it didn't turn out to good! i used gasoline it was the only thing i had handy and when i went to light it it blow up in my face i got a flash burn. on my face and arms and leg it burned a layer of skin. so after a day in the hostpial this is what it looks like.

6307_8-27-2009_021.jpg

6307_8-27-2009_023.jpg

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
OUCH, Did they send you home with Silver Sulfadiazine. I had 2nd degree burns on my butt & thighs down to below my knees. Very uncomfortable. Silver Sulfadiazine is what they had me treating them with, really high dollar stuff, but offered some relief.

About a year later I had 3rd degree burns from my knees down to my toes, that time I did sheet time for a week in a burn unit. The 3rd degree burns were actually less painful than the 2nd due to the fact the epidermis, the dermis and nerve ending are destroyed. Without the nerves the pain is deminished. But the rehab is much more painful than the burn.

Good luck and be very careful if you have very much of an open wound.

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am so sorry! This is why my husband won't let me do the fires in the piles in the yard. But I am so scared of the gasoline anyways...

I need to show him this.

Really truly, I hope you heal soon and with no permanant scars!

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OUCH!

DH never uses straight gasoline. He mixes 3 parts used motor oil with 1 part gas or if he doesn't have that mix he uses diesel.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OMG..how scary . Hope you have a fast healing, and yes, watch out for infection.
My husband puts gasoline on things to burn then makes a long narrow gas trail away from the big area, and lights the trail..so far it has worked for him.

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
4grandbabies said:
OMG..how scary . Hope you have a fast healing, and yes, watch out for infection.
My husband puts gasoline on things to burn then makes a long narrow gas trail away from the big area, and lights the trail..so far it has worked for him.

Gas is just Dangerous!

It is to volatile. The vapors can collect under anything and cause what you see here!

Do not use Gasoline unless it is for your car or tool.

Sorry, But I have to say that!

Please be careful my friends.

For about $15.00 at Harbor Freight you can get a nice propane torch.
Called a weed burner or something like that.
I have one but it is made for Roofing work. It will start wet wood in an instant.

I am sorry our garden friend had to learn the hard way, but let everyone learn from this.

Joe

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Owww, the pain!

Newspaper . . . An old state forester showed me how to burn slash piles.

He'd pile up branches, etc. then put a piece of roofing felt on top the pile and throw a few more branches on top of that.

When you want to burn, shove a nice wad of newspaper in and under that piece of roofing. Things have stayed fairly dry under that roofing even if the pile has sat for a few months in rain or snow.

The newspaper catches on fire easily. The roofing felt goes like a house on fire (so to speak). I've had slash piles just completely disappear in a few minutes - the fire was intense and the flames were way, way up in the sky. The smoke is almost nonexistent.

Steve

deenamr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am so sorry that happened to you. i have always been afraid to use gasoline but I did try it last year - I will never use it again.