Very old tomato seeds

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have a small jar of very old, family-brand beefsteak tomato seeds--maybe 20-25 seeds. Since these are the ONLY ones I have from my grandfather's tomatoes, I want to be careful starting them. I think that they are over 20 yo.
Read this and see if you agree:
http://www.tomatodirt.com/old-tomato-seeds.html
Please give me your best advice about how YOU would start them. I intend to start them indoors next month. IF any sprout, I'm gonna baby them and, hopefully, harvest and save their seeds for the future. I'll log my experiment for you. :D

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oooooh as a tomatoe fan I am eagerly awaiting the results of your experiment!

I'd follow their suggestion of soaking the seeds in warm water, if you had a few extras I'd soak them in warm water with epsom salts to see if it made a difference, but since you dont have extras I'd follow every step on that site to the letter!!!

Good luck!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like good advice. I don't think I would treat them all the same way- since you have 20, I might choose two different methods, just in case. Here's hoping you can grow some new seeds! A great experiment, at any rate. Keep us posted...,

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would take a plastic milk jug , turn it side ways(leave cap on,)
and with a sharp knife, cut a "flap door" at the top, put a shallow
layer of seed starter soil in the bottom-moisten -then put one or 2 seed
in the soil mix, put the flap down and secure with a rubber band around the jug..
I would then put the jug on the top of my refrigerator where it is steadily warm,
and watch carefully, -be sure to take band off and raise flap for air as soon
as they are well sprouted, and place under a grow light you can sprinkle
more grow soil around them till they get enough leaves to transplant into
a pot. from there they will soon be ready to put in the garden.
I learned this method from my grandchildren's science lesson.! !
The main caution is get air to them as soon as they sprout so they dont damp off.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm with lesa, I'd take some of them and follow their directions and the rest I'd do like 4 gbabies suggested.
I just started some that were saved from '98 and got almost 100% germination.

THANX RICH

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would use the best methods that have ever worked for you. Use several methods, and hold off with 5 of the seeds another 2 weeks in case the 1st 15 don't have much luck.

If all else fails, use the moist paper towel in a baggie method. If you have never used that method before, practice first before using the irreplaceable seeds. Done right, you get the best possible germination without having laboratory equipment. Finding just the right place to put the shoebox that you put the baggie in, that has just the right temperature is the real trick. Have a good thermometer in the shoebox.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good thought bc the Cushion Crimson seeds I bought for 20 cents/package have ALL sprouted for me--I'll try it with those.
Get your opinions and methods coming!! :D
I believe that this is gonna be a GREAT gardening year, don't you?

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think I would try several methods. I like the idea of soaking them in a mild compost tea before planting. I would also keep them covered to ensure they don't dry out. Remember is also stated it can take up to 6 weeks with old seeds so don't give up. If you are religious I would pray daily for them. I pray for my garden all the time and yes it helps.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Grandpa Machak's 30yo Beefsteak Tomato seeds log
I've had these seeds for about 8 years now.
March22-242012GardeningPictures032.jpg

This is probably the only time I'll have initiative AND an early planting season to try to start them. I have somewhere between 40-50 seeds in an old jar with a masking tape label. He passed away in the late 1980's, so the seeds are about 30 years old in 2012.
March 23, 2012
I selected 5 seeds from the jar.
March22-242012GardeningPictures036.jpg

DH left his ice to melt in his tea last night, so I took his glass and used that (this time) to soak the seeds. I know that's it's his tea glass that way.
March22-242012GardeningPictures028.jpg

March22-242012GardeningPictures029.jpg

I put the glass in the microwave to keep it a constant temperature.
March22-242012GardeningPictures030.jpg

Latest posts