Violets in Bloom!!!

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
In the past couple of days my violets are starting to bloom!!
They are growing at the base of a huge pine tree. They seem to really like it there.

11111Violetswflashemail.jpg

Here is a close up

11111Violetsemail.jpg

Bird_bath_2.gif

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are in a good place for some flowers to bloom, Rebbetzin :hugs.

Let us hope that the flowers continue to bloom for all of our sakes.

It will be awhile, here in the north country, before there is some hint of spring. After warming above single digitS' yesterday morning, snow began to fall over night. There is now about 5 new inches of a white blanket covering everything.

The snow from November and December never went away but there was some sublimation even with the recent frigid temperatures. I saw some bare grass!

Steve :rainbow-sun

sonjab314

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
All my violets are under snow :( . Your's are pretty. Mine are really thick, almost like a ground cover where they are at.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just lovely! Nothing warms my heart like seeing those first violets of spring!! It will be a few months before I even start looking! Enjoy!

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nice to see flowers....I usually don't see any Violets until I'm hunting Morel mushrooms in the woods.... the first week or two of May. Nice!!! Thanks for sharing...

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
RustyDHart said:
Nice to see flowers....I usually don't see any Violets until I'm hunting Morel mushrooms in the woods.... the first week or two of May. Nice!!! Thanks for sharing...
Oh my!! You have Morels in your area? We pay big bucks for those here!! Wish they grew near my house.

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Morels....They pay big bucks for them here as well...if they can't pick their own..... I cut them length wise and soak them in salted water....gets the bugs out........then dredge them in flour and fry in butter.....YUM!

Luvsroses

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
pretty! thanks for the vicarious living! :lol:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I once had a garden with morels!

The paths had been covered in that garden with wood chips from willows. Pine trees were nearby but I'd never seen morels under the trees. But, timing is everything!

One day, as the last of the snow was melting, I was walking in the garden. There was nothing to do out there - freezing most every night, probably still 25% of the ground covered with snow. I began seeing morels! Here, there - a good hat full at a time.

I know a guy who was quite a morel hunter in his younger years. He said that the secret to finding them in the woods is to get down low to the ground and look for lifting to the forest litter. Where there has been a fire and the litter is burned off - they are just easier to see. But, in their usual environment, not only are they "camouflaged" but they hide.

Yes, the aphids do like morels.

Steve

Latest posts