Walled kitchen gardens

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Rebettzin, are those panels made with netting? If so, does the netting cover the entire garden? Does all that brick make the garden hotter?

Mary
The garden with the apple tree has netting over it, the raised bed of herbs and flowers is just outside of the area with the apple tree. The panels are made of water pipe and are covered chicken. In the summer, it has shade cloth.

When it is over 100, brick or no brick it is hot outside. Brick does retain the heat, for sure, but in the winter, that is a good thing.

homewardbound

Leafing Out
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Rebettzin, are those panels made with netting? If so, does the netting cover the entire garden? Does all that brick make the garden hotter?

Mary
The part of the garden that is near whatever walls are getting sunlight at the moment (varies with the time of year) will be warmer than the parts where the wall creates shade. The Victorians would grow peaches on the wall that you'd have your back to if you were facing south. The wall would get direct sunlight in the winter and early spring so the peaches would be protected from the cold. But cherry trees would be grown on the opposite wall because it would be shaded during the summer and the cooler temperatures would give the cherries more time to ripen and gain flavor.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have tons of 100+/- year old clay bricks at our other house we'll be moving to in the next month! they were used as part of the foundation for a barn that burned down in the late 60's/early 70's before my DH's family got the property. this gives me a few ideas of how to use some of them up!

they no longer sell new clay bricks in our area that i have found. all are now made using concrete and they are junk. :/

Latest posts