Wasps attracted to ....

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
the hummingbirds necter feeder. Also got lots off bees hanging around. I do not mind the bees but am NOT HAPPY about all the WASPS. And neither are the hummers. I can't find where they go so I could spray the nest. Any ideas. I take down the feeder and the birds go nuts, even though I still have two more feeders out. they do seem to get a break about dusk and dawn when the wasps are not as active.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol, I have had luck with moving the feeder. If I move it just a few feet away, the wasps seem to forget about it. And the hummers can still find it.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Put a little vegetable oil so wasps can't land and they will leave

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Is there any yellow on your feeders? I pull the yellow covers off the traditional feeders, and it reduces wasps. You can also do 1 cup sugar to 5 cups water (more dilute than the standard 1:4) which the wasps aren't as desiring of. Only problem is the hummers are going to start their trek back south, and will need the energy. This is the time of year I generally up it to 1 cup sugar to 3 cups water (also do it when they first arrive).

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just a little OT, but our hummers are getting very thirsty these days. I fill our feeders every day now and sometimes that's not enough. After supper this evening I went out to refill them and I had three tiny birds landing on my hands, shoulders, and head while pouring new sugar water. They sure are cute.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smiles said:
Just a little OT, but our hummers are getting very thirsty these days. I fill our feeders every day now and sometimes that's not enough. After supper this evening I went out to refill them and I had three tiny birds landing on my hands, shoulders, and head while pouring new sugar water. They sure are cute.
Oooo Smiles I am so envious! I love those birds and wish one would light on me! Maybe if I filled them outside instead of in the kitchen, they often come look in the window while I wash the feeder and refill. :)

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will try the veg oil 1st, then move if that doesn't work.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Carol - try to go out to your feeder(s) each day if you can. And just stand there motionless for a while. Our humming birds have become very accustomed to our presence and sometimes they will hover right in front of my face as if to say "come play with me". I'm sure that is not at all what they're thinking though as they are VERY territorial and feisty little devils. Sometimes it seems that all they do is fight with each other.

Carol Dee said:
<snip> then move if that doesn't work.
What state are you going to move to? :ya

Latest posts