Watermelon Fail

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OK, so I've tried growing watermelon for 3 years in a row and each year its a huge fail. I get the ones that don't need such a long season to mature, I plant them in full sun, lord knows they get plenty of water, but every year my vines are spindly and short, and the fruits that actually set only get about 4 inches in diameter and then go soft on me. Help!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You are in one of those tricky places too... watermelon is even temperamental is the best of climates depending on type!

My Orange Glo were small this year, but the flavor was good so it didn't bother me at all. My crimson sweet are ALWAYS wonderful, always small, but usually ripe even before any other melon we grow. Just a suggestion :D

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
THe problem is that the seedlings are very vigorous and grow fast. Then, when they get flowers, they stop growing, the leaves get yellow, and any fruits that set are small and soft, and only get the size of a softball. So, they all start out of the gate really strong then fail.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had better luck with cantelope than watermelon. Try seedlings grown indoors instead of seed. the head start might help. Melons are heavy feeders so use lots of compost. Keep trying different varieties of seed. I have been successful a couple of times. I think the weather in any given season effects the outcome more than anything.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm inclined to agree with everything Catjac has to say here . . . 'cept, I don't do so well with cantaloupe either :rolleyes:. An early maturing Charentais variety can come thru for me and I understand they are a cantaloupe type.

"I think the weather in any given season effects the outcome more than anything." That, I think, is on the money! Melons are very weather sensitive especially - sensitive to cool weather.

Why I have trouble growing melons is following advice that you can find on any extension website about not planting melons when the overnight temperature is below 60F. Okay, the melons (any melons) in my garden came very close to failing in both of the last 2 years. The first night we had a temperature above 60 = June 28th one year and July 6th, the other!

I'm not giving them much of a chance with Junuary temperatures like that but I also can't wait until July to set transplants out or the fruit will never mature before Fall frosts!

Passport Galia melon didn't failed me in either of those years and I must have grown it for about 6 or 7 years now. I'm tempted to suggest other Galia melons also but, problem is, I haven't tried any others! Skeered to :/! I didn't grow Sugar Baby watermelon this year and can't remember about them in 2010 - wouldn't have had much of a chance if'n I did.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
As well as what has already been mentioned ( variety, temperature, fertilization ) have you considered root knot nematodes?
They can cause your leaves to yellow and stunt your plants.

I might be inclined to think it was a nutrient deficiency also. Iron deficiency will cause yellowing of the youngest leaves, a lack of nitrogen will cause yellowing of the oldest leaves.

You said they start out vigorous and then start failing- are these transplants? Or are you direct seeding? Just wondering if there might be a difference in soil fertility or something.

You can improve the beneficial mycorrhizae in your soil which will help your plants uptake of nutrients by watering them periodically with a molasses/ water mix. Fill a 5 gallon bucket with water, add a cup of molasses and stir. Let it sit for 24 hours or so, giving it a stir frequently. Water your plants with it.

I so wanted my melons to do well this year, but like Steve noted, it's just not super favorable conditions for melons up here. Even with early Siberian types. I did get a few Collective Farm Woman melons to ripen, but they're more a cantaloupe. A watermelon that was bred right here locally "Black Tail Mountain" didn't stand a chance with this years cool summer.

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I can't even grow decent watermelons here in Georgia, so I'm no help. I will be reading everything you all post, though! *lurks*

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is the first year in many that my mother didn't plant watermelons. That was my father's favorite thing in the garden and boy did he have good ones! He always grew them to give them away, dozens to hundreds of them. He had a temper and one of the worst spells he had was when he gave someone a bunch of the melons and that person went out and sold them. lol

He always planted by direct seed in mounds, three to a mound, thinned if needed. He kept them clean from weeds at least until they were maturing melons on the vines. He grew mostly Charleston Gray's. He never watered but did fertilize and the hotter the summer the sweeter the melons. I have already purchased some seeds for the coming year and will try them myself to share with my family. Hopefully in August I can enjoy one of my most favorite fruits!

rickdigschicks

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I planted two starts that I picked up at the local garden center here in late may just for the heck of it. I planted them in my strawberry pyramid since they didn't seem to do doing so well this year.
This was the end result.

284672_2334041475609_1386972329_2715563_7094180_n.jpg

I ended up with a total of about 30 mellons all averaging about 18lbs.

This was the biggest and oldest of the bunch

298779_2548999249419_1386972329_2910373_1732575268_n.jpg

These were Sangria from what the tag read. I couldn't find alot of info on them but have to say I was pleasantly surprised at the outcome. My chickens devoured them and I still have a few cut up in the freezer.
The only problem... sort of is they have alot of seeds.

Latest posts