Weed... but looks like watermelon

FisherMOM

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first post here. I have been busier with chickens this year, rather than a garden, so I hadn't joined yet this year. But after yesterday's visit to my Aunt's house, I just had to join to ask you all what you thin this is.

I think it's some sort of a weed. The leaves are watermelonish in looks... but the yellow flowers turn into burdock looking prickers...

I live in Western NY.. if this helps to identify it.

5844_what_is_this_plant.jpg

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well I have never seen that stuff here and from the description I hope I never do, but if I do it won't live long.

RDRANCH

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Glad to know what it is as we have LOTS of it. We have been pulling them as much as we can but it does spread very easily. Fortunately non of our animals are interested in eating it!!!!:D

andrealeev

Garden lurker
Reaction score
Thank you so much for this question! I'm in NJ have two dogs and had this in my garden. Last week one of them was near it and was limping a little while later. Gone!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Odd that I hadn't seen this thread. Odd that those original posters are no longer with us, except for andrealeev. Welcome, Andrea.
I wonder if others are having trouble with this plant. I am not familiar with it. Sure looks nasty!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
If that's a watermelon, it came from outer space! Welcome to the forum! Time to stop lurking and join the fun!!

Latest posts