Weepy Elephant Ear

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So, I have a couple elephant ears that seem to weep. As in, the leaves are putting off moisture almost to the point of being covered in dew. Is this a reaction to being freshly watered?

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is cool they way they collect water like they do.

Have you seen how a huge drop of water will collect together on the bigger leaves? It is awesome! Then a lizard will come drink from it!
It just don't get much better!

Joe

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Ron, I think you hit the nail on the head. I just noticed my diffenbachia is doing this also! Very cool to see...

I think the split leaf philodendron you might be referring to is the "monstera deliciosa"

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Araceae/Monstera_deliciosa.html

I picked a huge one up a couple weeks ago at Wallyworld. They were clearanced so I felt I couldn't refuse..... :)

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My pothos cries.

In the office where i used to work, there was a very large pothos plant that would cry regularly. The office 'plant guy' told us that means it's happy. :D

It's interesting to me. Maybe i read it wrong. The article Ron linked to says it happens in low humidity? We never have low humidity here, but i've seen the tears quite a few times.

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
Thanks guys! Ron, I think you hit the nail on the head. I just noticed my diffenbachia is doing this also! Very cool to see...

I think the split leaf philodendron you might be referring to is the "monstera deliciosa"

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Araceae/Monstera_deliciosa.html

I picked a huge one up a couple weeks ago at Wallyworld. They were clearanced so I felt I couldn't refuse..... :)
I love those! They're so gorgeous!

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
PunkinPeep said:
My pothos cries.

In the office where i used to work, there was a very large pothos plant that would cry regularly. The office 'plant guy' told us that means it's happy. :D

It's interesting to me. Maybe i read it wrong. The article Ron linked to says it happens in low humidity? We never have low humidity here, but i've seen the tears quite a few times.
Did this office have AC?

The air conditioner cools the air by removing water from the air!
That would induce guttation. Hey cool, I got to use a new word today!

Joe

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
PunkinPeep said:
My pothos cries.

Did this office have AC?

The air conditioner cools the air by removing water from the air!
That would induce guttation. Hey cool, I got to use a new word today!

Joe
Yes, the office has a/c (this is Texas ;) ), and the one in my house is by the drafty window, so maybe that explains its condition too.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So if this guttation happens during low humidity does that mean I should mist them? Our main source of heat is a fireplace which does indeed rob the humidity from the air.

Or should I just not worry that much over them and just enjoy this natural phenomena? I find it very cool to see "dew" on them in the mornings when I greet them good morning....but if they are doing this as a sign of stress then I would prefer to make them happy.

Latest posts