What are the rules for flying the flag?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner my FIL was in the American Legion. Several times a year they would collect worn out flags and have the ceremony to dispose of them properly.
@Nyboy my husband is the BA for the Painters and Allied trades. They needed a new flag for the hall. He had the same problem finding a union made in America flag.
@Smart Red and @britesea MY Father and FIL have carried flags in many a parade. It saddens them deeply to see the lack of respect today. DH attends many meetings where the flag is presented and the pledge said. He asked me how to ask them to remove their hats with out creating a stink! My response *Who cares if they do not like to be reminded, just tell them it is proper to remove ones hat when indoors and when saluting the flag.* I also told him if he did not want to be the one to do it to ask the person in charge of asking everyone to stand for the flag and say the pledge to have them also add a reminder to please remove your hats.
My sons had it well ingrained in them by Grandparents and DH and I what is proper and respectful. When youngest son went to a
McDonalds with his Grandparents ( he might have been four or five) he told them the flag was torn and needed to be replaced! MIL says the next time they drove by the flag was NEW! :)

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the lyrics to America the Beautiful a line goes For purple mountains majesties. I am assuming a wild flower is making the mountains that color. Anyone know what that flower is?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's not flowers. it has to do with the way light reflects off the mountains in certain lighting conditions. Dust or moisture in the air might have an effect too. They are not always purple, it depends on the angle of the light reflecting and maybe atmospheric conditions.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the lyrics to America the Beautiful a line goes For purple mountains majesties. I am assuming a wild flower is making the mountains that color. Anyone know what that flower is?
I always thought that the purple hue comes from cloud cover and haze over the mountains.

Latest posts