What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are all for ornamental purposes, Hal.

However, I find that they attract helpful birds :). Seed-eating birds eat some pests and birds seem to show up on the sunflowers long before the seeds are mature. Laying claims to the territory, I imagine.

They are the daisies of both my vegetable and flower gardens.

These ideas of historical claims, helpful critters, and daisies - makes me think of something else: lackadaisical activity, oopsy-daisy and @SweetMissDaisy ;). I will see if I have time to start another thread.

Steve
who is trying hard not to draw @jackb 's waltz with Matilda cucumbers into the conversation ...

Reactions: Hal

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got 15 more tomato plants in the ground this evening and helped Ava plant her 4 tomatoes and 3 peppers in her little plot. DH hilled my potatoes for me, bless his heart. I have 15 more tomatoes to go and peppers and cabbage (too late to bother?) and everything that needs directly sown like beans and watermelon, etc. It's starting to look like a garden though.

I've been running around all day trying to get everything ready so we can take a little weekend trip, DH and I. The kids are going one each to either grandma's house. First trip without the kids ever. I hope I can handle the peace and quiet, ha. Going fishing and hiking, staying in a nice lodge within the state park. It's where my parents honeymooned, many years ago. :)
Going to be able to get any more garden work outta your DH after the fishing trip?

;)Steve
6 months northern resident, 6 months southern dreamer

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been weeding. I started picking raspberries and I think this is early. I had some garlic falling over, so I picked some garlic today. I have no idea why it was falling over, might be DH is watering with the hose and knocking them over, but looked ready, so I pulled some of the small ones. The larger ones are still standing and green. I made sauerkraut with some of the cabbage and also sauerkraut juice today. Picking collards and cabbage and freezing and having a cabbage stir fry for supper. I can pick some yellow squash today or tomorrow. Potatoes are getting flowers. I am trying to decide what to start for a fall garden.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
inspecting garden today deciding where to put a few veggies and noticed a few broccoli, brussels sprouts that had been from last year. they looked dead but were actually growing new shoots from the base just under the leaves i hadn't raked off yet. also found a couple tomato volunteers. i'll need to move those before i till that area to put this year's tomatoes in.

dh in the process of removing a tree trunk from my garlic bed trying to cut it up, pulled one of the bulbs up. not a big one but still had an ok size to it. the bed still has about another month of growing so this is a good sign they may give be some good sized bulbs this year.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Planting more peas at the moment.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll be setting out some cucumber and zucchini plants soon.

Having a second planting of summer squash on one of the first few July days, has worked well for several years. I added cucumbers last year. Fruit begins rolling off those plants about the first of September.

There are some risks. There was an August frost about 20 years ago. More likely, powdery mildew will NOT take out the zucchini in late summer and I'll be absolutely overwhelmed with them in September!

Cucumbers always seem to play out ... I'll see if having this second planting of cukes comes through again. By September, freshness never tasted so good!

Steve :)

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'll be setting out some cucumber and zucchini plants soon.

Having a second planting of summer squash on one of the first few July days, has worked well for several years. I added cucumbers last year. Fruit begins rolling off those plants about the first of September.

There are some risks. There was an August frost about 20 years ago. More likely, powdery mildew will NOT take out the zucchini in late summer and I'll be absolutely overwhelmed with them in September!

Cucumbers always seem to play out ... I'll see if having this second planting of cukes comes through again. By September, freshness never tasted so good!

Steve :)
Which summer squash do you usually grow?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Two hybrid zucchini, Hal.

Ambassador and Gold Rush.

But, they are really olde hybrids. Except for a few times, I've grown Ambassador for nearly 40 years.

(name withheld to protect the innocent)

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Two hybrid zucchini, Hal.

Ambassador and Gold Rush.

But, they are really olde hybrids. Except for a few times, I've grown Ambassador for nearly 40 years.

(name withheld to protect the innocent)
Yes Gold Rush I am familiar with. Ambassador I don't ever recall seeing here as Blackjack has always been the no.1 green here.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
#1 is likely to be Black Beauty in the US, Hal. Ambassador isn't.

I've ordered from Jung's Seed since the 1970's. I think there was only one of the more recent years when I didn't. And, I didn't order their Ambassador seed.

It was probably my worst season ever for powdery mildew. I've never sprayed for it and asking other gardeners what I should use. One guy questioned the wisdom of growing Black Beauty. Okay, I'll see if switching back to Ambassador and trying a late planting will keep me from this much trouble in the future. It has.

Steve
who has fresh zucchini and cucumber plants in, as of today :)

Latest posts