what critter eats pansy petals??

emmak

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Some insect or animal munched off all the petals on my pansies. I want to try to save my other basket of pansies. Any ideas?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gee, a few bites I would have voted slugs... but the entire flower??? Any of the green missing? I have never had a pest issue with pansies, but I suppose rabbits or deer might enjoy them...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
The blossoms are edible. I figure the leaves are too. Maybe it was a rabbit.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Watch them cats and chickens and ducks... they eat all my pretty flowers when I'm not looking.

Haven't figured out WHY the cat does it yet, but I've caught her doin' it!!! :lol:

emmak

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Only thing is that these are in a wicker basket hanging on a fence. I can't see a rabbit getting up there. Would a squirrel eat them? Or an anole? We have lots of them around. Birds?

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would think deer if they were up off the ground on a fence if you have those around. The only bird I know who steals pansy leaves... rather just chews off the stem without eating anything is my tiel.

emmak

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Definitely not deer. It's in a fenced back yard in a suburb of Dallas. No deer around here. BTW the green leaves weren't eaten. Just the petals (?)

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had the same thought thistlebloom. But neighbor child. Picking fresh flowers. :lol:

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
emmak said:
Some insect or animal munched off all the petals on my pansies. I want to try to save my other basket of pansies. Any ideas?
If only the petals are missing I'd vote for small caterillars of some kind.

Latest posts