What Did You Do In The Garden?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' Would love your comments on "yellow doll" watermelons. Trying to convince myself to buy yellow, ice box seeds for next year.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn this will be my first year with them. I've eaten a yellow watermelon ... but, it was grown about 150 miles away.

My garden is known for killing melons!

Okay, it's the fault of the climate. Just too much cold and wind thrown at them :\. Maybe I can nurse the Yellow Doll survivors back to health. Questionable ...

Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
did yellow queen melons last year very sweet tasting. perfect fridge size.
you never know till you try.
DSC_0001.JPG
but just like any other melon to much water during ripening and pop goes the melon, and you get to be a wannabe Gallagher..
DSC_0001.JPG

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds good. Are they fairly early as watermelons tend to come up slow and fall comes fast. Love watermelon in July/August, not such a fan when weather turns colder.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finished spraying the flowers. The earwigs had moved right back into the dahlias. Especially bad were the same areas as before, near their bushes and near the neighbor's shed.

I think I don't really kill them. Their home in the dahlias becomes temporarily uninhabitable so they pack up and move until there is new, unsprayed growth. They won't be able to do this forever. Systemic is like leaving booby traps. It has to build up in the plant tissue.

Sprayed spinosad on the eggplant and some of the cabbage. Cabbage for the flea beetles. I wish my eggplants looked like @Mauldintiger 's. The only veggie the potato beetles have found but find them, they did! Shoulda sprayed them a week ago ...

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ran the weed eater around little veggie garden and dahlia garden.

Went through the dahlias looking for earwigs. Found 2 alive, none dead. That's good since there were 4 or 5 on some stems, yesterday.

Tried to get a pine tree corralled so that I can work around it. I was in that garden before that pine tree showed up but it's on the property line. Without some agreement between the property owners, I'm just fencing the lower branches so they don't slap me while I'm moving around ;).

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Picked more peas. Then some blueberries and some raspberries. 1st year for the BB's . DH owed around beds. Then both of weeded and weeded and weeded.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I brought in just a few big bottom leaves off some collards, washed, chopped, blanched and had 32 cups. I am kind of shocked how much is out there. I brought in the rest of the garlic and DS and I dug more potatoes. Nothing impressive at all, actually pretty lousy potato crop. Got tired and left last row of red. Picked the last of the cherries off the cherry bushes, a quart of raspberries, and then realized aphids on the kale, so I cut off some bad stems and threw in trash, cut a lot of kale to freeze and then put some soapy water and some cayenne pepper on the plants. I am not sure how much I have in the sink. DS and I raked, pulled some weeks turned the dirt and added cow manure where the garlic was and I am going to plant my kale seedlings there tomorrow.

Latest posts