What Did You Do In The Garden?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a beautiful picture Steve. Wasn't yesterday a dramatic weather day? I got rained off a job and came home early, but not until I had sat in the truck for 20 minutes first waiting for it to fizzle out. It never did, and I enjoyed every drop and roll of thunder!

As far as my own garden, which is such a joke this year I don't even want to talk about it, I moved about 13 tomato plants. Yeah. :rolleyes:

I just bought myself a real horse and the garden spot is the best place for a corral and shelter.
At least I have my priorities straight.:)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You didn't lose your tomato plants in June, @thistlebloom ?

Not growing potatoes and losing your tomatoes to a last-of-spring frost was the reason we were hearing about your strawbale laboratory, only. I thought.

That horse probably wouldn't have liked those tomato plants but many other veggie would have been appreciated onto the menu.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, the tomatoes in the straw bales look terrible...but these were in my back garden space where the kids garden was last year. They did look awful, as awful as the ones in the straw, and they did get damaged in the frost, but I put them in the ground (oh, they had also spent a criminal amount of time in their baby containers) and mulched them with some aged coop and corral cleanings and they fairly leapt out of the ground! For joy probably.
They became a nice green and have been blooming. There was even one ripe Mountain Magic that surprised me today. So I was sad to disrupt all that potential. Who knows, I may have gotten TWO ripe tomatoes this year!

They are installed in the blueberry corral where the garlic just came out. No doubt that they will now quit out of frustration at my ineptness. But I'm giving them a chance to forgive me.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Enjoyed the rain yesterday. Found green beans ready to pick. I have been weeding and not much else. I picked some squash and a few Cubanelle peppers that I stuffed with some onions, cheese and seasoning. Eating cucumber, some with Ranch dressing and some in vinegar. Pulled some onions. Eating and picking blackberries now.

mythreesons

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm wishing for rain too Nyboy..I live in Columbia County, NY so not that far from you.

I picked savory, sage, dill, basil and a few cayenne peppers from my garden to dehydrate..will head out to pick the green beans and tomatoes in a bit.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This year, I started a garden for my good neighbor who allowed me to build a gate through his back fence, build a shed, and use 2 of his garden beds for a shed-attached hoop house each spring. Yes all that :)!

A single guy, he lost his father last year, has ongoing arthritis problems in his knees, and works full-time. He didn't put in a garden last year and wasn't planning on one in 2016. The hoop house area is 8' by 12'.

It's been years (decades!), since I have had a small garden. I keep the ground weed-free during the few weeks I use it every spring. It takes only a few minutes to clear it of weeds but the weed seed must amount to half the volume of those beds! They just keep coming ...

Planted a little late, the cucumbers, zucchini, tomatoes, and green beans will soon out-compete the weeds but going in with the hand cultivator, scratching around a little, removing what weeds I can see, irrigating -- just sets things up for more weed seedlings to emerge. So, I decided to try "spot watering."

I sunk large pots to ground level near the veggies. Ten inch pots near the cukes and 2 gallon pots near the squash and in the middle of the tomatoes. Fill the pots, leave a dry "dust mulch" around them, and let the drought stop the weeds!

Then, we get almost an inch of rain! Oh well, it took me all of 30 minutes with a posthole digger and to fill the pots with water. Maybe, I will try this technique again, next year.

:) Steve

mythreesons

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
@mythreesons have family in Copake ( they had the best Sat night auction) . Their house was on Robinson lake spent many happy summers there. I have a weekend home in Dutchess.

Wow..small world as I live in Ancramdale..lol.

Believe or not I have never been to the auction..I'm sure you heard or have been to the Grey Fox Festival previously known as The Winterhawk Festival in Ancramdale? My family (Rothvoss) owned the property it was on for many years.. I see that you live in Lagrange..I use to have a cousin that lived there until last year.

Latest posts