Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
P_20240303_185145.jpg
I finished building the new tomato house~

GottaGo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Potted most of the herbs I grew in soil blocks, labeled and prepped for sale in about 4 weeks at the produce stand. Only 8 of each, as a trial run to see how they do.

The tomatoes will get potted up Tuesday or Wednesday since we have a second set of true leaves and roots running wild out the bottom of the soil blocks.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
And we have this little dusting of snow after yesterday morning's 20°f (-7°C) but then sunshine afterwards – melting much of the snow already there. The chances of snow continue but don't sound like much of a threat. Afternoon highs will continue to melt some of what falls.

A couple of weeks ago, I was thinking that it might be a good idea to dig out a garden bed. (Had I ever done that in February?!) Our soil is so rocky, with those beds having a fair amount of organic matter in them, that digging in wet conditions should be okay. I could then move some compost into that ground and Have Room to Empty these Buckets of Kitchen Scraps! Missed my chance. Oh well, those scraps were probably frozen and I might not have been able to dump them into the compost bins.

I did get 8 varieties of tomato seed and a couple of eggplant into the soil mix and resting comfortably in the kitchen. They joined the peppers and i have finally tried starting those slow growing celeriac to see if they can make it to softball size in 2024. Certainly time for gearing up the seed starting, especially if we may have an early Spring.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
finally got some (of many many) daffodils removed. i didn't like them where they were and Mom really didn't like them either. i am willing to just keep chopping them back until they give up but Mom wanted them O.U.T... so out they went. we'll give them away. only partially done and it is 4 or 5, 5 gallon buckets of just bulbs (leaves removed). still more to do but it won't be any time soon.

nice day to be outside. i was overheated within the first five minutes, but i just slowed down and took plenty of breaks.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday, 4, 5-gallon buckets of compost were dug out of the compost pits in the backyard. It was necessary to be a little selective but it was mostly done. The buckets of compost went into a big tray one-at-a-time and were sifted through a 1/4" screen. Mixed with several shovelfuls of commercial "top soil" – the mix was used to re-pot the perennials that had spent the Winter in the greenhouse.

Today, another 3 buckets of material came out of that pit. Of the two locations for making compost, it's the one with some sunshine. The other one is smaller and has nearly no sun at any time of the year. I'd like to give it another month+ so that it will be mostly finished when more compost is needed for the potted tomatoes.

The previous ingredients in those pots for 12 months went into the last part of a backyard veggie bed. It wasn't much, about 6-8 feet dug out. The dead Gai Lan plants were pulled and added to that trench. They were what were a part of the overwintering trail and didn't make it to January. So much for brassicas having any consistent Winter hardiness :). The two, 4' x 20' beds to be covered by the hoophouse are now ready

Steve, a little sore from the shovel work ;)