What Did You Do In The Garden?

GottaGo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The veggie garden has hog wire panels, and a half panel serves fir the gate. While woody is a well fed critter, it fits through one of the openings that you wouldn't think it would. Chicken wire was put up a good 18" to cover the lower openings but apparently not enough.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
grow supports for semi-runner beans
The semi-runner quality may be very appropriate.

The second time that I had Painted Mountain and Rattlesnake beans together, I tried 2 different approaches. #1 the beans were sown only after the corn made its appearance. #2 I drove tall stakes about every 2 feet in the rows.

The beans took off after the corn had gained some height and climbed all over the stakes AND the corn. This helped with not burdening the corn plants so much.

semi-runner seems like they are likely to be good neighbors for Painted Mountain and the corn may not need any assistance.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The veggie garden has hog wire panels, and a half panel serves fir the gate. While woody is a well fed critter, it fits through one of the openings that you wouldn't think it would. Chicken wire was put up a good 18" to cover the lower openings but apparently not enough.

right, they can get through some smaller gaps and chicken wire up 18 inches isn't going to keep them out if they already know there are yummy eats in there.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Felt that I have accomplished something. Pulled the deck outside the greenhouse off to expose the larger stealth compost facility ... Managed to empty one half of the compost by just moving it to one side. The material had only been in that pit for as recently as a month ago. It looked better than it could have although I saw several orange peels and one cabbage leaf that looked like they might have just been tossed in. Most everything else looked like muck.

The empty half allowed me to dump 6, 5-gallon buckets of grass sod in. Following @flowebug 's suggestion, I covered the grass with cardboard and a couple of shovelfuls of garden soil.

Finishing turning the sod in the path between the 3' and 4' beds, next will be the path between the 5' and existing flower garden bed. I'm thinking that a 3rd turning may leave half of each path exposed so that a couple of inches of soil can be removed off the paths in those areas so that it can be applied to the beds. There may be reason to soon move transplants into those areas. Celeriac, broccoli and cabbage look like they may be ready soon.

Our "slight chance" of rain/snow has been pulled from tomorrow's forecast. It really looks like the lawn will need to be watered for a first time. I'm wondering how well I can do that with the sprinklers while avoiding wetting the drying sod in those paths but think that it should be possible. The process of opening those former lawn areas to vegetable gardening looks to be on track.

The watering of the new transplants under the hoop house was needed with our near record warm temperatures. Transplants, including some juvenile tomatoes were taken to a gardening friend. I think that they will very nearly set up her backyard operation for the year. She has a second floor balcony and uses the ground level space to protect the starts mostly by how far under that overhead protection they are placed. Seems that we are on schedule for an early start to the season.

Steve

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The semi-runner quality may be very appropriate.

semi-runner seems like they are likely to be good neighbors for Painted Mountain and the corn may not need any assistance.

Steve
This is helpful information. I will keep an eye out for extra sticks to poke in as extra supports as well. Thanks digitS!

My first batch of Painted Mountain went in alongside heirloom fava, to see if that might be a good combination too. I direct sowed the corn a full month before our last frost-- and it came up. That is one remarkable cultivar.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Heavy rain till Friday, so I worked a bit in the greenhouse - pricking out seedlings, potting on, and sowing another 30 varieties of veggies and flowers, satisfied. Meanwhile, all rain barrels should be full after Friday.

I wish I can transplant another two apples and one raspberry tomorrow, and finish a small stair with pavers.

Latest posts