What Did You Do In The Garden?

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I did a wild garden last year and OMG I didn't know what pepper plants were where. It seems as though I need a much better garden plan. This year I think my focus is more on potatoes onions and garlic. I really need my squash corn tomatoes and herbs to be healthy but so much work to do and I am the only person in my family that even cares about the garden. 😭I almost feel defeated and depressed about it. They would rather pay for chemicals and toxins versus home grown and chemical free food 🤢

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There was a bit of complaining from me about moving grass sod so as to double the size of the backyard garden but, yes, I like to have fertile, productive soil. I would be delighted if some of this compost components were available in 2024 for the plants. There's so much potential in that material and so much of it in the 3 backyard locations for this "new ground."

I thought of @Phaedra yesterday because of Webster's Dictionary's Word of the Day. "Ken." The example for use was, "Creating showy displays of florals along a pathway or verdant plots of perennials in shady backyard nooks – well, much of that is still beyond my ken. I don’t know my spurges from my woodruffs."

Pretty nice example of an uncommon English word for a talented gardener with Phaedra's language skills. Aaannd, a cute little lesson for us everyday speakers of English.

Just a little searching and I came up with that quote from the London Ontario newspaper columnist, Larry Cornies. LINK He is writing about what he is missing by not being a gardener, @akroberts . Flowers, yes (cute also that Webster's gives us the definition links on their page). But also, the importance to health. BTW, notice the location for that organization headquarters in Burnaby, BC, @Branching Out ;).

Food. Right now. I'm mostly about food — it is time for breakfast!

Steve

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I did a wild garden last year and OMG I didn't know what pepper plants were where. It seems as though I need a much better garden plan. This year I think my focus is more on potatoes onions and garlic. I really need my squash corn tomatoes and herbs to be healthy but so much work to do and I am the only person in my family that even cares about the garden. 😭I almost feel defeated and depressed about it. They would rather pay for chemicals and toxins versus home grown and chemical free food 🤢
Well, the good news is you can keep it all to yourself! 😋

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Picked a lot of salad greens for ourselves and hens/quails, so delicious~
440336279_422211050529279_6183799937021519963_n.jpg

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Walked out to the garden today. Pulled some of the crabgrass out of the greenhouse. Pulled up some of the carrots bc they were so close together that they weren't growing. Other than that it's my lazy day.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it was good to be able to get outside for a bit today to get some weeding done. with all the rains we've had most of the gardens are a bit too muddy to do much but i can get some things done along the edges and in other places that need some weeding.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday seemed an odd day, weatherwise. It was the warmest day in over 2 weeks at 68°f (20°C). And yet, the afternoon had heavy overcast. Breezy but the system was directly from the south, blowing up from California, I suppose.

I set up a little fountain on the tree stump in the backyard :). The stump cut at an angle, I had to really mess with making it level with 3 little feet. Measurements were made a few days ago with pennies :rolleyes:. One penny has a thickness of about 1/16th of an inch. Stack 'em up. Set the level on them. One point on the stump was ground zero ... 1/8" here, 3/4" there, 7/8" there ... ah shoot ... my stack fell over!

Feet locations marked, board cut, holes drilled, screwed in place ... Set the ceramic bowl on the feet. Pump, solar panel, wire between ... I already knew it worked after setting it on the ground on a previous, sunny day. Heavy clouds, it dribbled.

Well anyway, it looks cute, DD says. I have it below the cast iron hand pump that I have had for years and set it on the stump in '23. Somewhere on TEG I have a picture of it with amaranth blooming beside and oregano growing around it ;). Fretted for years that I didn't really know how to run the water through the pump into a basin. Gave Up on the Idea! Water goes through a ceramic fish on the bowl's edge.

Now the oregano needs time to grow around it :). I'll take a picture after that happens.

Steve, facing a week's forecast of overcast, rain and a dribble

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yesterday seemed an odd day, weatherwise. It was the warmest day in over 2 weeks at 68°f (20°C). And yet, the afternoon had heavy overcast. Breezy but the system was directly from the south, blowing up from California, I suppose.

I set up a little fountain on the tree stump in the backyard :). The stump cut at an angle, I had to really mess with making it level with 3 little feet. Measurements were made a few days ago with pennies :rolleyes:. One penny has a thickness of about 1/16th of an inch. Stack 'em up. Set the level on them. One point on the stump was ground zero ... 1/8" here, 3/4" there, 7/8" there ... ah shoot ... my stack fell over!

Feet locations marked, board cut, holes drilled, screwed in place ... Set the ceramic bowl on the feet. Pump, solar panel, wire between ... I already knew it worked after setting it on the ground on a previous, sunny day. Heavy clouds, it dribbled.

Well anyway, it looks cute, DD says. I have it below the cast iron hand pump that I have had for years and set it on the stump in '23. Somewhere on TEG I have a picture of it with amaranth blooming beside and oregano growing around it ;). Fretted for years that I didn't really know how to run the water through the pump into a basin. Gave Up on the Idea! Water goes through a ceramic fish on the bowl's edge.

Now the oregano needs time to grow around it :). I'll take a picture after that happens.

Steve, facing a week's forecast of overcast, rain and a dribble
It seems that a lot of people are experiencing unusual weather lately. I just talked to my mom who lives in northern CA. She told me they have had lovely 70 degree weather for some time and then it snowed yesterday! Go figure!

Latest posts