What Did You Do In Your Garden Today?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I fertilized the tomatoes and planted beans. Did some weeding and general garden stuff. Had fresh spinach for supper again. It is really producing, and it sure beats the heck out of the packaged stuff. Who knew there would be so much difference in a spinach leaf?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got all but 11 poles up that I have for the pole beans. Stringing the poles is the hard part. Using twine.

Also did some raking and bagging of leaves for camps 6 and 7.

hannahsmith

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Well, i am planning for adding fun to my garden so that i can help in my children's boredom.
That's why i was busy today in maintaining fun installments services.

Order Flowers Online

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, i finally got a few of my apple trees in the ground! :) they were my 4 Pink Ladies that finally came last weekend. i still need to get in the ground my grafted apple trees (up to 22 accepted their grafts out of 27 so far), 3 peach trees and a pear tree, along with tilling my garden and getting all the veggies put in too. it will be a busy and pain filled week for me. :p but i will feel all better once everything is growing (and a few pain pills to help :lol: )!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I set out 38 tomato plants.

Now, I arrive home and learn that the Weather Service is predicting 39F! It has been such a pleasant afternoon, I expected the prediction to go up to 45 or something. Instead, it went down!

Well, I am going to be glued to Wunderground reports tomorrow before sunrise. If need be, I will load up the truck with buckets and head out. Or, I will turn on the sprinklers out there. I don't honestly expect to do either but I will be prepared. There are more plants to go out and I can replace what is lost but I stand a chance of losing what I only have 1 or 2 of :/!

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I set out 38 tomato plants.

Now, I arrive home and learn that the Weather Service is predicting 39F! It has been such a pleasant afternoon, I expected the prediction to go up to 45 or something. Instead, it went down!

Well, I am going to be glued to Wunderground reports tomorrow before sunrise. If need be, I will load up the truck with buckets and head out. Or, I will turn on the sprinklers out there. I don't honestly expect to do either but I will be prepared. There are more plants to go out and I can replace what is lost but I stand a chance of losing what I only have 1 or 2 of :/!

Steve
I was shocked too. I have peppers and eggplant out. I planted them several days ago before the rain and I did not get finished, so I have eggplant under plastic and I guess I will bring them inside. All my tomatoes are planted plus basil and peppers. I have most of it covered, but now I have to go find more buckets. Last night I put buckets over the eggplant, some of the peppers and a few tomatoes that I wanted to make sure were okay. Really the reason I planted the peppers was that they were not that great looking and I had lost my older ones, so I thought if I planted them I could see if they would grow and could replace them if something was going to go wrong. I have too many eggplants, so I planted some of them because I just have too much to do and wanted to get some of the planting done. Oh, and I have my morning glories planted. Oh, and cucumbers. :th

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Well, I am going to be glued to Wunderground reports tomorrow before sunrise. If need be, I will load up the truck with buckets and head out. Or, I will turn on the sprinklers out there. I don't honestly expect to do either but I will be prepared. Steve
I just reread what you said. You do not have anything covered right now, so what I did last night and tonight of covering things is not really needed unless we have a frost or freeze?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, it is all bare to the open sky, 'Rabbits.

I've been up since before 3 and trying to stay calm. What is reassuring to me is that it is 42 in Liberty Lake and that is a long way from freezing. It has froze at my garden when the thermometer there said 38, however.

It has been 36 in Coeur d'Alene since 2:30. I've been outside. There is no frost on the "hoopies" and no frost on the pickup.

My first action would be to turn on the sprinklers. They have only a limited frost mitigation benefit. They can protect from dehydration altho' the tomatoes were watered in yesterday.

Tomatoes are the only frost-sensitive things out there. I felt that the peppers would benefit not at all until it gets about 15 warmer. That doesn't mean I won't set them out soon but that's just because they are not benefiting from being root-bound either. Some of those pepper plants are from seed sown March 1st & they are only in 4-packs. Eggplants are in larger pots.

The advantages all the plants have this year have been gained by the several weeks they spent in the hoop house where the little 800watt heater couldn't keep things warmer than about 12 above the outdoors. If it is 39 out there this morning - they have already experienced that once. I didn't want them that cold but there wasn't a stand-by heater that morning. With so many mornings so cool, they began hardening-off even before I had taken them outdoors during nice weather mid-day. Their growth slowed but that was okay.

Steve
where IS the sun?!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
How'd your tomatoes do Steve?
My remote thermometer read 37 at 6 a.m.. I jumped the gun and planted some peppers on the patio Sunday. They are under frost cloth and look surprisingly cheerful. The rest are not going out until June. Probably. Unless I get lured into planting them on a nice day.

My tomatoes are not in the ground, but they are outside. I covered them last night so they're ok.

Latest posts