What do you do with your fresh herbs?

britesea

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
@Lavender2 the tarragon vinegar is so easy it's embarrassing- I just take a bottle of wine vinegar (white is traditional, but red could be used for a slightly different taste) and stuff as much fresh stems of vinegar into the bottle as will fit. Recap and let it sit for a month or so. I usually just leave the herb in the vinegar until it's all used up- it doesn't hurt anything and helps me remember that this is the tarragon vinegar. I have never had mine last longer than a year so I don't know how long it would stay good.

Here's the recipe for Summer Spaghetti. We call it that because it doesn't taste right if you use the cardboard-y store bought tomatoes you get in winter; has to be good flavoured vine ripened tomatoes.

SUMMER SPAGHETTI

2 lbs very ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced (or more, if you are using a mild garlic)
2 tbsp finely minced parsley
1 tbsp finely minced basil
¼ cup olive oil
Tarragon wine vinegar to taste (I usually use about 2 tbsp)
Salt & pepper to taste
1 lb spaghetti, cooked al dente
Freshly grated Parmesan

Mix first 6 ingredients, then add vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. Pour onto hot cooked spaghetti and add Parmesan.
This salad can be served immediately, but tastes even better if you can let it sit for a bit. Don't forget some good Italian bread to soak up the juices!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I planted sage in 2000 and I harvest from it all year around, every time I'm cooking chicken or turkey. There is no difference between sage leaves dried out in the winter and those you dry out and package.
The same with oregano, which has taken over my herb garden, ~ 4' x 6' of it, now. I use that in spaghetti and lasagne sauce.
I bought a basil, nursed it along as a house plant, but it took off in my front bed this summer, now going to seed. I'm watching the night temperatures now. I'll buy some time by putting some straw and a bucket with a brick when we start getting some frosts, but I'm digging it up and bringing it inside, again. We love fresh basil in tomato soup when it's cold.

Latest posts