What have you canned or preserved today?

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yesterday was "beef day" here...8 pints of stew beef and ground 7 lbs of hamburger for the freezer. Tomorrow will be sweet potato day...got about 12 lbs of them to get canned up. The, 3 good sized bags of pears to do and I might...just might...be done for this season...no promises, though, LOL

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last bushel of peppers done today!! Took me two days to do this batch... must be getting old!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I picked a lot of dry beans, some chard, and a pepper for a garden munchie.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I swapped workdays so I could have Wednesday to can and got 27 quarts of pears done. Now, I know that's not a big deal to all you experts but I was pretty pleased with my counter top full of shiny jars :) . It was even fun, I found the pears more pleasant to can than peaches, and it didn't take me nearly as long.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd call that a lot! Good work! :thumbsup

DD and I are going apple picking at an orchard in OH tomorrow. Then we'll make apple butter.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, thistle, you put me to shame. I only did 4 pints of salsa last night. Though it was a simple process, I'm always surprised by how long it takes to do. Especially getting the water to reach the boiling stage in the canner! I was trying to remove 2 cookie sheets full of tomatoes off my counter. I have 2 families coming for interviews this Friday and I'm trying to clean up!

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Saturday, just before our first frost, I went to a local state park that has an apple orchard. People can come get the aspples as they wish, just keep it under a bushel. I waited until they were ripe so they were pretty much gone, but I still got enough Arkansas Black to make 3 pints of applesauce and 5 half-pints of crock pot apple butter. I'm not done yet but after that frost, I'm getting real closed to finished canning and drying. I will get some fresh kale for supper tonight.

Jean.Hennings

Sprout
Reaction score
This is one of my favourite times of the year. Only one thing on my mind: Blackberry picking!!

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
In the canner now: 6 pints sliced beef and 3 20oz jars of browned beef for stewing. Next up, salmon. I have to work tomorrow and Saturday, but am hoping to get 'taters and sweet 'taters done on Sunday. Still have 3 bags of Boscs to do...any suggestions as to how to prepare them?

Latest posts