What in the World is THIS?

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I will bet you a dime to a doughnut, it is a cross between a pumpkin and a zucchini.

They are both from the same family. They are both Cucurbita pepo (click). Wikipedia shouldn't say "Some Pumpkins." Really, all Jack o' Lantern pumpkins are Cucurbita pepo. Zucchini and pumpkins are frequently grown in American gardens and they readily cross.

It is risky business to save a squash volunteer. My neighbor and I shared the same Tractor Guy who tilled the gardens for years. The neighbor allowed volunteer squash to grow one year - then left them in the garden.
:ep

I had his volunteers all over my garden! Unfortunately, they were in my own squash and pumpkin patches and it took me awhile to ID a few of the plants.

Just be happy that the chickens like them, Featherbaby. Chickens really do like the Cucurbita family a good deal. As far as how you might cook them - I haven't an idea for you there.

Steve
I will bet you a dime to a doughnut, it is a cross between a pumpkin and a zucchini.
It a Pumpcchini :D

Chris

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I tink you have a cushaw. It's actually a squash but you treat it like a pumpkin.

Featherbaby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
chris09 said:
digitS' said:

They are both from the same family. They are both Cucurbita pepo (click). Wikipedia shouldn't say "Some Pumpkins." Really, all Jack o' Lantern pumpkins are Cucurbita pepo. Zucchini and pumpkins are frequently grown in American gardens and they readily cross.

It is risky business to save a squash volunteer. My neighbor and I shared the same Tractor Guy who tilled the gardens for years. The neighbor allowed volunteer squash to grow one year - then left them in the garden.
:ep

I had his volunteers all over my garden! Unfortunately, they were in my own squash and pumpkin patches and it took me awhile to ID a few of the plants.

Just be happy that the chickens like them, Featherbaby. Chickens really do like the Cucurbita family a good deal. As far as how you might cook them - I haven't an idea for you there.

Steve
It a Pumpcchini :D

Chris
:bee Well, the 7.5 pound Pumpcchinis finally pulled the pvc arched trellis down to the ground. I cut the fruit for the chickens and cleaned out the vines...not an easy task, and they had little prickly thorns on them too! I planted dragon tongue beans in it's place. These are cream colored pods and beans, splashed with purple. Pretty, pretty. I have no idea if they are good to eat. I suppose I'll find out. I couldn't do any worse than the 'freak of nature' I grew before. HA!:tools

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Love Dragon's Tongue beans, I won a blue ribbon for them once at the Marshfield Fair :) Thorns, huh? Yikes! :barnie

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I like the dragon tongue, rattlesnake or purple beans. I don't see that much difference in taste but they are so much easier to spot when it comes time to pick them.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
:caf

Wellp, I'm looking at the color of that ripe one there. Smooth orqngish beige? That's what color you get when you cross an orange Pepo with a white Pepo in the F1 usually, and some of the F2's.

My vote: White Scallop crossed a right fine little pie or sugar pumpkin.

It was delicious, wasn't it?

I sure hope you saved the seeds from it. Those would make a nice cross with Honey Boat Delicata.

Sometiomes a real great series of personal Pepo crosses each year makes a really fun hobby!

I'd kind of like to cross this with my padanazuke! Tonda Padana pumpkin X Gadzukes Zucchini

:throw

:old

Latest posts