what is kale

lnm03

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My husbands grandma has macular degeneration (sp?) in both eyes and the eye doctor told her to eat LOTS of Kale it is good for your vision!!!!

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
In Germany we cook it similar to the way you would cook collards here in the States. Throw in some smoked meat and let it simmer away. Yummy!
The best harvest is after the first frost. Dunno why. In Northern Germany (where I was born and raised) we have festivals and parties devoted to kale all winter long! :idunno

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
GrowinVeggiesInSC said:
In Germany we cook it similar to the way you would cook collards here in the States. . . . we have festivals and parties devoted to kale all winter long! :idunno
Collards, what's that?

No seriously, I know but it has been quite a few years since I grew it and it doesn't seem to be in the stores around here. (There are all these Scandinavians in this neck of the woods. ;))

DW wanted to try collards again since she's forgotten what it tastes like. Or, maybe she subconsciously remembers . . . because, she has now forgotten to plant the seed 2 years running.

I remember liking it but we grow soooo many Asian greens (and kale, and cabbage), I'm reluctant to do the collards-planting.

There are decorative varieties of kale. I just wish there were some a little more tender . . . Some folks claim that harvesting it, then freezing before use, helps to make it tender. I just chew . . .

Steve

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
. . . Some folks claim that harvesting it, then freezing before use, helps to make it tender. I just chew . . .

Steve
Oh yes, now I remember. Harvesting after the first frost makes it tender!

Collards are a staple down here in South Carolina. If I go to a restaurant and collards are an option as a side dish (and at most local places they are), I get them. I could eat collards for days! I haven't cooked them myself in a long time, not sure why, they're sold at every grocery store and I love them! It's just not one of my go-to veggies, I guess!

I think maybe I'll make some nice collards this weekend! And I will have to think about growing some this Fall! Maybe some kale, too! Yummy!

valmom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Ooooh. Kale chips:D

My SO is half Portuguese- there are all kinds of debates in the family whether the Aunt's recipe (with beef and pork) is better- or more authentic- than grandma's recipe with just pork, but with beans added. They're both great!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
valmom said:
Ooooh. Kale chips:D

My SO is half Portuguese- there are all kinds of debates in the family whether the Aunt's recipe (with beef and pork) is better- or more authentic- than grandma's recipe with just pork, but with beans added. They're both great!
Oh really, i'm half portuguese as well. I enjoy that Green Soup called Caldo Verde, its good. I seem to like authentic better.

Latest posts