What is this tree Like Housplant

usschicago1

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ok First Of all I love housplant. I've Really Never Had trouble with them. The longer one Is doing awful, its New leaves are dead before maturation. There are two baby ones coming up and I wonder can i just take out the two large ones and keep the babies withough killing them!
6508_photo_00468.jpg

6508_photo_00472.jpg

6508_photo_00475.jpg

miron28

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
this is called a yukka..... you can cut it anywhere you want and stick in the ground and it will grow! so if you cut it have way down take the top and stick it in the ground it will continue to grow and leave the other part in the ground and it will sprout off new ones hope this helps

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hi Miron,

I think your thoughts on this being a yucca are close, but I do not think this is a yucca at all.

My guess it is what I refer to as a 'Dumbcane Dracaena", which could fit any number of Dracaena species but usually used with the larger broadleaf variety.

It can be cut as you say, but really this is not necessary. I think your plant just needs to grow a bit more and become more bushy in appearance.

Here is a site on everything you need to know about growing Dracaenas http://houseplants.suite101.com/article.cfm/grow_dracaena_for_outstanding_indoor_plants

This site also lists several varieties by species name. You might identify this by cross-referencing. I might also suggest that you ask Injunjoe because he has such a fabulous collection of Dracaena, he might be able to name this one for you and give you some pointers.

Goodluck,

Ron

ps, the reason I do not think this is one of those soft-leafed California yuccas is because they normally would not thrive in a house with diffuse lighting, whereas the Draceana is more a tropical and can thrive under these conditions. :)

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was just thinking to myself. If this is a yucca, say a soft-leaf variety or subtropical variety, then there would be a distinct point to the end of the leaf. I mean to say there would be a needle-like projection coming from the end of the leaf.

Since these pictures are poor, can you confirm if this 'thorn' or projection is at the end of the leaf? It should be about 3/4 inch long or longer and very hard and the tip will be like a needle.

Let us know,

Ron

If it is a subtropical Yucca, this might answer your question as to why it is failing. It requires much more light, direct light actually, so that the new leaves mature fully.

usschicago1

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply's! It has No needles on the leaves. But they are extrely pointy.

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here is a link to some of my Dracaenas.
Does it look like any of these? Hard to see in the pictures.
I have others I just have not got around to photographing them yet.

usschicago1

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
haha weres the link? Did I miss it :[

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

usschicago1

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
usschicago1 said:
injunjoe said:
haha weres the link? Did I miss it :[
OOOOPs

Here it is sorry

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26634
It has the stalk as the bottom One ( A Little THicker) and the leaves are the same shap as the top one but There just green (like medium colored green)

Latest posts