What month to plant garlic in zone 7

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
crazzzymike13 check out grey duck garlic.com they have some interresting reading on growing garlic,.
here are a couple book titles on growing garlic, they sure helped me out when i got started a few years ago.

growing great garlic..... by ron l engeland

the complete book of garlic....by ted Jordan Meredith this one is really really good reading...

both are on amazon.com

....... yes store bought garlic has been treated..

crazzzymike13

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That site greyduckgarlic is cool. The reason I'm so interested in growing garlic is because I started getting sick with a cold. Long story short I got over it really fast because I was taking raw garlic cloves like pills. I mean I started feeling lot better really fast! Usually when I get sick I really get hammered. So I've been reading and learning and I want to start eatting a clove of garlic a day for my health. I'm young and if I start now I will hopefully avoid major health problems as I get older. Besides I like garlic anyway. Why not grow something I like to eat?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
amen to that.

cook with it almost everyday here at the house...
planted some elephant garlic, <which is not a garlic, it's related to the leek family>.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
crazzzymike13 said:
That site greyduckgarlic is cool. The reason I'm so interested in growing garlic is because I started getting sick with a cold. Long story short I got over it really fast because I was taking raw garlic cloves like pills. I mean I started feeling lot better really fast! Usually when I get sick I really get hammered. So I've been reading and learning and I want to start eatting a clove of garlic a day for my health. I'm young and if I start now I will hopefully avoid major health problems as I get older. Besides I like garlic anyway. Why not grow something I like to eat?
The flu made the rounds in our family. I even went and got out 5 year old grand daughter because her parents were too sick to take care of her. She was recovering from the flu, but had already exposed everyone at Christmas. :/ DH got sick, then my 89 year old mom, (got her to the doctor quick and she didn't get too sick) and I never got it. Why? Maybe because I generally stay healthy or it could be the garlic mash I made 2-3 times a day and ate. I peeled 3 cloves of garlic, chopped them fine, poured a couple of tablespoons of honey and a heaping tablespoon of peanut butter. I mixed it up and ate it. Yes, my breath would blow you down. DH complained, but after all, he was sick, but I wasn't. ;) I didn't care what my breath smelled like, I didn't want the flu.

After you swallow the garlic, the "garlic breath" actually comes from your lungs as you exhale. That indicates that the garlic is working, as it is helping keep your lungs clear.

Another go-to remedy for me is ACV mixed half and half with honey. I keep it mixed in a bottle in the pantry. It doesn't need to be refrigerated. A few tablespoons in a glass of water makes a good daily tonic. You can't overdose on the stuff, so when a cold is coming on, I drink more of it. Apple Cider Vinegar will even take out food poisoning and stomach flu, diarrhea. It is nature's disinfectant that takes out the bad bacteria without harming the beneficial bacteria that is so necessary to our good health.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
For the last 2 years I have bought the organic garlic from the supermarket to plant. All of my garlic has produced really well. I only need about 3-5 heads and I refuse to order the minimum (which is way too much for me anyway) and pay the shipping.

Mary

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love the smell of garlic. I chopped some up tonight and my hands smell like garlic and I love it. I don't mind the taste either. I can just eat it. I have read that it is recommended to eat between 1/2 - 1 clove of garlic a day to help with some cancers. It is really good for stomach and colon cancers. And I can feel better with just taking some.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I also am in zone 7b, and its october here. I have some very happy strong plants for it. My neighbor tried onions and garlic in spring when all the box stores sell it, and it was too late and nothing every real bulbed. I think its work the wait for the amount of $$$ and time you're going to put into this. :D

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Crazzzymike13, I found some real good info about onions and garlic. Mostly about onions, but it said specifically do not plant garlic in the spring.

DON'T plant garlic in the spring! Bulb formation in garlic occurs in response to the lengthening days of spring, and bulbing and maturity are considerably hastened if temperatures are high. In addition to these requirements, the dormant cloves (divisions of the large bulb) or young growing plants must be exposed to cold temperatures between 32 and 50 degrees F. for one or two months in order to initiate bulbing. Plants that are never exposed to temperatures below 65 degrees F. may fail to form bulbs. With fall plantings, the cold treatment is accomplished quite naturally throughout the winter, but a spring planting spells disaster in Texas Zones III - V (USDA Zones 8 and 9)

Link to whole article- http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/publications/onions/oniongro.html

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you BayMule!!!

That explains a lot!

Short version: Do not plant Garlic in the spring. Simple as that. And true!

Latest posts