What should every garden have?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Part of it depends on where you live (climate) and how much room you have. Without knowing where you are, I really can't give a lot of suggestions you should follow, especially if you are just now, in June, getting ready to order seeds. Gardening is so local.

For me, in my climate and with a pretty large garden, my spring crops, planted in March, are radishes, leaf letuce, spinach, beets, carrots, peas, potatoes, kale, chard, and onions. My warm weather crops, planted when all danger of frost is past and the ground is warm, are corn, tomatoes, pepper, eggplant, beans, sweet potatoes, squash (both summer and winter), and okra. I will plant New Zealand spinach early July to give me a greens crop later in the season. In the fall, I will plant garlic, leeks, chard, and kale, with the thought that these will overwinter. The garlic and leeks will mature in the spring and the chard and kale will give me some fall greens but, with mulch, they will overwinter and give me some very early greens. I also plant beets and carrots in late summer. The beets give me beet greens and maybe some fresh beets. The carrots, if you mulch them to keep them from freezing, can stay in the ground all winter, giving great sweet carrots all winter.

I agree that you should have an herb section, growing whatever you use. I have basil, dill, parsley, chives, oregano, thyme, sage, and tarragon.

I grow some stuff that is expensive, some that I think is so much better fresh than bought, some that I like but would never buy, and some that my wife wants me to grow but I'd personally rather not. We all have our reasons and many of them are different. If you are going to put the effort in, you should pick what you want to grow. Otherwise you will feel like you are wasting your time and give up.

aussieheelr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Best advise is to start on a small scale the first year... I heard this once and didn't take it. I started with a 16x26 this year and regret is HUGE. I planted some things too early and they froze, didn't get the best water set up and had to hand water a lot so most of that died.
We got our first harvest of radishs and planted a second. I recomend them!
Spinach is a recomendation too, very easy to grow. Our corn is doing well too, then again we're in the land of Olathe sweet corn so that doesn't supprise me. Sunflowers are EASY and will make a easy snack for the chickens this fall.
We started basil from seed and it's going gang busters! I highly recomend it, freezes well and smells wonderful. Mint is another easy keeper.
(If I can grow it anyone can... coming from the girl who killed cuckes and tomatoes!)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Every garden should have the four basics....tomatoes, potatoes, beans and corn. All are relatively easy to grow and grow well in most climates.

Most old country gardeners then add green onions, lettuce, spinach, cabbage, broccoli, squash, cucumbers, peas, rhubarb, peppers, etc.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I vote awkwardly for a second.... :hide

I vote you put in ANY perennials you want first, put the biggest investment of time and money in now.

Fruit trees, berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, gooseberries...ect) asparugus, artichokes...ect! You get the point.

Make room for the big things that need time to get going, because they will come back and produce year after year for you and you will get the biggest bang for your buck even though you can't enjoy yet.

Then make sure you have tomatoes, green beans, squash and melons!!!! :thumbsup

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love my grape vines and my apple trees. Also the herbs are a great start. Chives! We never seem to have enough chives. I am going to separate mine this fall. 3 plants can't keep up with the family.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Peace & tranquility.............. & lots of :bee :bee :bee :bee :bee :bee

Old fashioned roses

Clematis

Tree peonies

All my favourite vegetables & fruit

My cat

My chickens

A glass of wine & a rocking chair & ME........... :love

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Lots of good advice here, though I haven't read all the posts.

If you are limited in space, money, or motivation-- do not plant anything you will not eat. And only plant in quantities you are able to eat, preserve, sell or give away. Otherwise, you're wasting precious space and time.

My husband eats very few veggies. This is our third year with a garden, and I'm learning to 'try' to only do what I've advised above.

So, think about what you'll use often, and what you want to have on hand, and what you're willing to can, freeze, or otherwise preserve and use. Then, if you're not sure of what will be your easier plants, or "best bets" out of your choices, list away-- and I know I can be of more help then :)

Have FUN!

Edited to add: Depending on where you live, and what you want to plant, you might have to settle on buying a few plants this time around ( if your season is very short, and want to do tomatoes/ peppers etc this year). I'm still planting in northern Maine, but started my seeds back in March, so I've got some good sized seedlings waiting for weather and schedule to allow them all to get in the ground.

ninny said:
I'm wondering what basic plants should every garden have?
I'm planing on buy seeds from bakers creek but need to limit myself. So im wondering just what i should get?

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Im planing for next year with the seeds, got to limit myself. Im going to throw up some raised beds this fall. Should i put the strawberries in them?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ninny said:
Im planing for next year with the seeds, got to limit myself. Im going to throw up some raised beds this fall. Should i put the strawberries in them?
Strawberries with thrive about anywhere. I have them started in a raised bed, but they are now growing through the rock paths in my garden, and are sprawling along my lawn! :lol:

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
vfem said:
ninny said:
Strawberries with thrive about anywhere. I have them started in a raised bed, but they are now growing through the rock paths in my garden, and are sprawling along my lawn! :lol:
Yummy!!!!

Latest posts