What to do with grass?

strantor

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
I would dig it all up as you have been the sod grass. Pile it as in a compost pile Maybe add manure and leaves.
This is what I did.
catjac1975 said:
They cover it with a heavy guage black plastic sheeting .It will kill the weeds and leave you with nice soil to amend your beds.
This is what I will do.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions!

gardenbefore_zps923fa405.jpg

gardenafter_zps92063db6.jpg

strantor

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Nice excavation Strantor. :)
Thanks! Embarrassingly, it took made me a whole day to do that. I'm not used to working hunched over, and it made me feel old. I'm not old, I just need to do more gardening ;). Maybe I should say it made me feel like I was stomped in the lower back.

Surprisingly I feel just fine this morning. I thought I was going to be out of commission today.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
strantor said:
. . . Surprisingly I feel just fine this morning. . .
He's young . . .

A gardener needs a cast-iron back with a hinge ~ someone once said.

Strantor, it looks like a good start to a good garden.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Myself, I'd cut more out along the edges because grass has a way of creeping back in...

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Next to a fence and a building and covered by a tree ... just how many hours of sunlight does this area get ?

strantor

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
bobm said:
Next to a fence and a building and covered by a tree ... just how many hours of sunlight does this area get ?
Not sure, but I learned last year that when seed packets say "plant in full sun", there is an unwritten exception "except where strantor lives". My full sun plants that I left in full sun were scorched, and my full sun plants that were left in the shade did much better. Maybe it will prove different this year since the plants are going into the ground instead of planter pots, but just going off last year's experience, I'm of the mind that the more shade the better.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh! That explains the fine print I sometimes see on packets of seeds! I was wondering what they meant by "except for where strantor lives".

:thumbsup

Now I know!