What's new?

MIchael Hibberd

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was wondering what you lovely people may be trying for the first time this year? For me it's the Cucamelon (Melothria Scabra) or the Mexican Sour Gherkin. They're so cute!

Anyone tried these?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've grown the burr gherkins (Cucumis anguria), Michael.

It was another of those things that I couldn't figure out much use for. The flavor was almost identical to cucumbers. It was a little difficult to peel such tiny fruit.

I've got seed for a winter squash (C. maxima) from a high elevation Indian village in New Mexico. They will go in the soil mix soon.

That may be the only exotic . . . in . . . 2014 . . .

Steve

MIchael Hibberd

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've grown the burr gherkins (Cucumis anguria), Michael.

It was another of those things that I couldn't figure out much use for. The flavor was almost identical to cucumbers. It was a little difficult to peel such tiny fruit.

I've got seed for a winter squash (C. maxima) from a high elevation Indian village in New Mexico. They will go in the soil mix soon.

That may be the only exotic . . . in . . . 2014 . . .

Steve
Ooh, they're funky!

I was thinking I could pick 'em young and eat the skins on the Cucamelon? I hear they're good in martini's soooo.. may have to try that! ;)

That c.maxima is some good eating, how do you eat them over there on the west coast? I always struggle to utilise and do 'em justice.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The C. maxima squashes can be used to make the ultimate pumpkin pies, Michael. I don't know, maybe we should come up with another name for that custard pie when using a winter squash. It is very flavorful.

In our house, quick and easy microwaved with brown sugar and butter is most common. I also use them in cream of pumpkin soup. Oops, there is that other word again!

Something else new I want to grow this year: mung beans. I know they are commonly available and we have all eaten them as sprouts. I've even sprouted them! But, beyond sprouts, I cannot remember ever seeing them as a plant.

There are several new-to-me varieties of this and that. I've grown bunching onions for quite a few years but will have 2 new choices along with a couple tried & true. There are also 2 new potatoes, always a new tomato or several, new types of dry beans, all those sorts of things - what most gardeners do every year!

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We grew the sour Gherkins last year. I like them. We only got a few. ( A hot and dry summer and we did not get water hauled to garden often enough.) They where fun, but we will not grow them again. I was the only one that liked the taste.

MIchael Hibberd

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The words Pie and Soup do have a certain association, but we can bring 'em back!

I love how gardeners adventure out each year with something new. Good luck everyone. Look forward to the results.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Michael, I didn't mention the variety from that Indian village.

It is La Madera squash and the seed is from Native Seed/Search (link).

If you have an interest in the varieties from Native American communities, you may enjoy checking out their catalog. I've seen that other gardeners have happily ordered from them over the years but this was my first experience. Usually, I'm off in an Oriental direction.

Steve
Dang auto correct! la, la, la, not late or last . Pretty name. Means something in Spanish.

Last edited:

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My guess is that "La Madera" means "of Madera" in Spanish. I've noticed that a lot of those Mexican/Spanish varieties are named after the place they are associated with. I'm guessing that Madera is a town.

I'm trying Uzbeksi cucumbers, they're a different type of cucumber. They look like a russet potato because they have the brown, netted skin and supposedly remain edible at large sizes. Uzbeksi cucumbers are Kiva type. They're actually in the ground now, a few weeks earlier than they probably should be - but we'll see how it goes.

Some other new things that I'm trying - a small area of moth beans, Farthest North Mix melon (ripens outdoors in Denmark, produces in about 65 days), several new varieties of tomato, garbanzos, about 8+ new varieties of peas, and the rest I can't remember at the moment.