wheat straw in compost?

Ariel72

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have some old wheat straw in the barn. I don't think it has any seed heads still in it. I apologize ahead of time if this is a dumb question. How should I best use the straw? Mixed with the compost pile...for walkways between raised rows...layered between compost in raised rows...mulch? Does it even matter? I just didn't want to add something that would draw out nitrogen. I know I do want to save some straw for growing potatoes.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I generally throw the bale in the run for my chickens to rip apart and make sure there are no seed heads left. What they don't eat, they thresh out and have a great time doing it. I know it is straw and there are not many seeds left, but there are some. And I know the wheat seedlings are not that hard to pull when they first sprout. Just don't wait too long to pull them. I then use it for mulch. I usually spread a couple of layers of newspaper down, then put the wheat straw on top of that to hold it in place. I figure that keeps the straw from drawing down the nitrogen in the soil too much and really helps keep my bermuda grass from growing through the mulch. The little bit of chicken manure I get in it is pretty insignificant.

One risk to this method is that if the newspaper dries out, rain can run off instead of soak in until it gets wet. If it ever dries out under the straw I figure it is time to water anyway. I often reuse the same straw on two or three different crops before it decomposes.

Any of your proposed uses sounds very reasonable. Whatever suits you best.

Ariel72

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Sounds good to me. Thanx lots!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think I will take your suggestions as well!!! :D

Latest posts