When to plant fall crops?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rence, that's a fine book but I think you mean "ME" rather than "MA" - Coleman is in Maine.

Your choice of words "protects" seems spot-on for what Coleman is talking about, or mostly talking about. Really, much of his winter crops were grown during the growing season and protected from frigid winter weather in his greenhouse. Still, they are alive, healthy and he's got them and we don't . . . :/ At least, some of us don't.

Welcome to TEG, Rence :frow!

Steve

Rence

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Digits, thank you for the correction, I thought he was in Mass. And thanks for the welcome :)

Last fall I sowed some stuff in late summer/early fall and they started to do well but I didn't have good protection for them. So I think you can start them earlier than Mr. Coleman did, depending on where you're at.

I'm definitely going to try. And besides, I like gardening better in the fall, it's not so hot :)

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I started lettuce and radishes in late September a few times. One time I was lucky to have extremely mild weather to the end of December and had holiday salads that amazed everyone.
The other years that was too late and I got nothing. Due to all the hard work with no return, unless lucky, I start earlier in August.

I am experimenting with my version of shade cloth over greens; a big patio umbrella that I can move around. It was too shady for the radishes which are really leggy in only 2 weeks.

I think Coleman's books are great, wish I could afford his system. Agree with Steve-Coleman's stuff is already established.

Rence

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well, if someone comes across resources for fall and winter gardening that are affordable, please let me know :)

Heirloomer

Sprout
Reaction score
I have vegetable CSA with 30 members in Northern Illinois, Zone 5.
I am planting brussel sprouts right now and planted head cabbage starts two weeks ago. I will be doing more lines of carrots and beets next week as well as kale. This will be followed by lettuce in the last week of July and spinach and arugula after that.

If you just use the maturity times on the seed packs you may not get the crops to mature in time as the sun is now getting lower so they are getting decreasing light as the season goes on. You should probably add a couple of weeks to what the seed pack says if you are as far North as we are. Remember, the sun on 9/22 is the same as it was on 3/22 and the sun on 10/22 is the same as on 2/22.

If it is going to be hot, you can put shade cloth up over your rows. You can also start the plants in the shade in flats and plant them out later, although that will not apply to root crops.

My spinach and kale routinely overwinter if I cover them right after the first hard freeze. I also overwintered lettuce last year in hoop houses that were unheated with a double hoop layer system. I was eating mature lettuce in April.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Whats the vinegar treatment? I have the same problem.
You mix vinegar and dish soap and pour it on the weeds. If you have a gravel path or someplace you don't want ANYTHING to go, you add salt to that mixture.

Rence

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Heirloomer said:
I have vegetable CSA with 30 members in Northern Illinois, Zone 5.
I am planting brussel sprouts right now and planted head cabbage starts two weeks ago. I will be doing more lines of carrots and beets next week as well as kale. This will be followed by lettuce in the last week of July and spinach and arugula after that.

If you just use the maturity times on the seed packs you may not get the crops to mature in time as the sun is now getting lower so they are getting decreasing light as the season goes on. You should probably add a couple of weeks to what the seed pack says if you are as far North as we are. Remember, the sun on 9/22 is the same as it was on 3/22 and the sun on 10/22 is the same as on 2/22.

If it is going to be hot, you can put shade cloth up over your rows. You can also start the plants in the shade in flats and plant them out later, although that will not apply to root crops.

My spinach and kale routinely overwinter if I cover them right after the first hard freeze. I also overwintered lettuce last year in hoop houses that were unheated with a double hoop layer system. I was eating mature lettuce in April.
Did you sow brussel sprouts or use transplants?

Thank you for the advice! I'll have to look for shade cloth. I just sowed broccoli. I'm doing cauliflower and bruseel sprouts tomorrow. I want to do fava beans too, but I'm not sure if it'll work. It might be too hot....

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am zone 6a and I have planted short fall crops as late as the end of July but they aren't as productive. I just put my fall crop in last week and I am starting some cucumbers to transplant for a fall crop now also.

I wouldn't wait too long. It's better for everything to be done weeks before your first frost then too immature when Jackie boy comes to call.

Latest posts