where do you grow dill?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smiles, I love the smell of dill when passing through the garden too. It just makes me happy, no matter how bad of a day I am having. Must be something to it, like aromatherapy, that works on the ol' brain. :)

'Peeps, I believe it prefers full sun, but would probably do well in part-sun too.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
hangin'witthepeeps said:
So does this mean dill likes shade? I have a 2x2 box that gets AM sun, but not PM. I was going to move it, but if I could plant some dill there, that would be wonderful. Can I plant a few flowers in the front of the box. I have a few marigolds and a few impatiens that need planting.
I wouldn't say it particularly likes shade but it will tolerate open shade (not dense shade though) what it doesn't seem to like is heat. Mine always does best in the early Summer before it gets too hot.
If you like a dill seed head in your pickles, as I do, you may have trouble trying to get the dill and cukes in synch. Just remember you can put the seed heads into a jar and pour hot vinegar over them to hold them till the cukes are ready, then use the already pickled dill heads in your pickle jars.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dill is a winter crop here. Mine is very tall and going to seed now!

I am trying to decide if I should let it just wildly reseed in the back garden or harvest the seed and plant them next Jan or Feb...

Decisiions, Decisions.

One thing I do is plant dill in the backyard and fennel in the front yard. I don't know if they can cross, but, I am not taking any chances.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I let dill come up where it wants, and remove the plants I don't want. There's no specific place for it. There's some in the herb garden, a few creep into the perennial border, and they're coming up all over the vegetable garden - if I don't like where they are, they get removed :)

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just were ever I find a place..the only thing, I read somewhere that you should not plant it near the cucumbers..they apparently are not friendly plants. I dont remember the source of that info,just thought I would mention it.

jakesebastin

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am growing it in the middle of the garden and i the plants are growing quite easily and giving good results though i have taken a lot of care for it so naturally it had to grow well.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The dill is doing just fine in my garden again in 2012.

It does seem to like the cool temperatures so far this year and, once again, there is a good stand in the onions. I've thinned it, several weeks ago and there probably won't be any left for seed in those beds but there's plenty here & there elsewhere and 1 or 2 mother plants can be left for seed.

I wish the aphids didn't like dill so well. Aphids have been little trouble this year outdoors but the dill always has aphids to wash off and the plant seems to be sensitive to any sprays so it's just a thorough rinsing kind of thing.

Steve

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
We love dill with salads, baked potatoes, and of course for pickles, so I planted small batch this year in a raised bed. The bed receives sun until about noon, and then is shaded for the rest of the day. So far the dill is doing fine; I am going to harvest the seeds for making pickles and freeze some for later use.
Jack

dill-3.jpg

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
I let dill come up where it wants, and remove the plants I don't want. There's no specific place for it. There's some in the herb garden, a few creep into the perennial border, and they're coming up all over the vegetable garden - if I don't like where they are, they get removed :)
I am hoping to have that kind of problem with my dill!! I planted it in four different places this year. I will now have to wait and see where they "volunteer" to come up.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
4grandbabies said:
Just were ever I find a place..the only thing, I read somewhere that you should not plant it near the cucumbers..they apparently are not friendly plants. I dont remember the source of that info,just thought I would mention it.
and don't plant Fennel and Dill close together, they can cross and you may not like the result if you use the seeds from them.