who does companion planting?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
peteyfoozer said:
. . . Mine didn't even START to ripen! .....
Can you tell us your choice of tomato varieties, Petey?

We may have some suggestions :).

Steve

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had both Romas and Amish paste tomatoes. They did fabulous for a couple of years, but the past two years it has been so cold and wet so late in the spring they just don't take off. I like firm tomatoes to make salsa and can with. I had some I started, a couple I purchased, and a couple of volunteers. They started to set well at the end of summer, had lots of fruit, but nothing ripened. :hu

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i think a lot of us had the cold, damp start last year. we had temps above normal for too long and a lot of veggies didn't pollinate like they usually would.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
peteyfoozer said:
I had both Romas and Amish paste tomatoes. They did fabulous for a couple of years, but the past two years it has been so cold and wet so late in the spring they just don't take off. I like firm tomatoes to make salsa and can with. I had some I started, a couple I purchased, and a couple of volunteers. They started to set well at the end of summer, had lots of fruit, but nothing ripened. :hu
Seems like the paste tomatoes are usually in the 80+ days to maturity class that I will not grow because I'm tragically risk-averse :rolleyes:.

I may not be of much help on the subject of paste tomatoes. I grew Viva Italia pretty much by accident 1 year and it did fine. Even tho' many, many of my tomatoes are cooked down at the end of the season rather than eaten fresh, I pretend that this won't be so :rolleyes:.

I am happy with a plum that I've grown: Porter. The fruit is sweet and tender but it's a tuff little plant! Thessaloniki is a nice firm beefsteak that can last & last after picking. Of course, I'm also pretending that they will all ripen on the vine and won't have to come in and sit on the counter a couple weeks to change from green :rolleyes:.

Steve ;)

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I am happy with a plum that I've grown: Porter. The fruit is sweet and tender but it's a tuff little plant! Thessaloniki is a nice firm beefsteak that can last & last after picking. Of course, I'm also pretending that they will all ripen on the vine and won't have to come in and sit on the counter a couple weeks to change from green :rolleyes:.

Steve ;)
Thanks! I will definitely look into that one for the coming year! :thumbsup

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
okay....striking out here. Is there a company you use that has these seeds??

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
sure, are you looking for organic or do you not care where they come from?
www.rareseeds.com is Baker Creek and they carry heirloom non-GMO stuff.
www.superseeds.com is Pinetree Garden Seeds up in ME and they have a blurb in the front of the catalog about their choice to carry non-GMO seeds but they carry some heirlooms and some hybrids. lots of different tomatoes in their catalog and really good prices.
www.fedcoseeds.com is also a non-GMO carrying company. not sure on how many types of tomatoes they have on their site. i haven't checked this year yet.
i got a catalog from www.totallytomato.com but i'm sure they could carry some possible GMO seeds from other suppliers. they do have a lot of different types of tomatoes and a few other types of seeds in there.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not talking about Porter "Improved," Petey. It seems like every time I try an "improved" variety I get burned . . .

It took me 10 years to get back to Sweet 100's after whiffing on Sweet Millions (you used a baseball term first ;))! Totally Tomatoes & others have the original Porter.

Totally Tomatoes & Baker Creek have Thessaloniki.

Steve

Latest posts