Who owe's your seed?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Not all companies are their own entity, many are controlled by a higher power to holds ownership in the company, complete control of the company, or may even hold the patients to what the company produces. I've seen LOTS of people saying things such as they don't want to buy GMO seed, or seed created or distributed by Monsanto. They are indeed a powerhouse and have quite a good hold on a good majority of the seed out there. I have this chart I'm going to share with you, so you can see if Monsanto is the parent company to the company you are buying from. It can be quite confusing because you will see if you buy from one company, they are controlled by yet another company... however, a portion of ownership can still going back to Monsanto. It's quite tricky!

For as huge as the are... DuPont and Syngenta are quite large entities themselves with a good amount of control.

https://www.msu.edu/~howardp/seedindustry.html

A good confusing example:

Jung seed!

Jung is owned by ASI but ASI is owned by Monsanto... you see the links!?

Problem is what comes down to partial ownership details. They could quite possibly hold a large amount of stock and profit from the company, but it does not say whether the company has a strong enough hold to control testing, sales or patients.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
So is old Shumway's!

I really am just a poor ole guy, but I would so much like to own a seed company of my own. Do it my way. It'd have all the old varieties of the old catalogs. I'd be doing a lot of plant breeding to bring some back best as possible, old fashioned plant breeding. Hybrids not made by inbred lines. Hybrids that seed can be saved from. Recreate some of the old standards. Search them out. It'd have as many appalachian heirlooms as can be found. It would be a seed company not bought by any tycoons. "You don't sell a dream". It'd have smaller quantities and more selection, thousands of varieties!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Keep making those plans, marshallsmyth, and dreaming that dream. You never know where that may take you. Sounds like you are no dummy about seeds and propagation. Maybe you could set up a co-op on line, connecting many small specialty growers.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Not all companies are their own entity, many are controlled by a higher power to holds ownership in the company, complete control of the company, or may even hold the patients to what the company produces. I've seen LOTS of people saying things such as they don't want to buy GMO seed, or seed created or distributed by Monsanto. They are indeed a powerhouse and have quite a good hold on a good majority of the seed out there. I have this chart I'm going to share with you, so you can see if Monsanto is the parent company to the company you are buying from. It can be quite confusing because you will see if you buy from one company, they are controlled by yet another company... however, a portion of ownership can still going back to Monsanto. It's quite tricky!

For as huge as the are... DuPont and Syngenta are quite large entities themselves with a good amount of control.

Jung seed!

Problem is what comes down to partial ownership details. They could quite possibly hold a large amount of stock and profit from the company, but it does not say whether the company has a strong enough hold to control testing, sales or patients.
Monsanto has a nasty habit of trying to patent heirloom seeds. Both Mexico and India have gotten into battles with them trying to patent and gain control over seeds that have been passed down for hundreds of generations. The biggest battle was when they tried to patent the neem tree which grows wild in many parts of the near and far east.
http://www1.american.edu/ted/neemtree.htm

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmmm! Can I patent the owners of Monsanto? Yea! Let's patent the owners of Monsanto, and to make sure nobody else gets a copy of their genes, we'll have to neuter them...

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I work as a sales rep for both Lake Valley and Botanical Interests Seed. They are family owned and are dropping seeds owned by Monsanto (owned but not GMO's). They are great companies to work for and they employ a good number of people.

It really feels good to be a part of two companies that are doing their best to perpetuate the non GMO seed business. :thumbsup

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
vfem said:

Jung seed!

Monsanto has a nasty habit of trying to patent heirloom seeds. Both Mexico and India have gotten into battles with them trying to patent and gain control over seeds that have been passed down for hundreds of generations. The biggest battle was when they tried to patent the neem tree which grows wild in many parts of the near and far east.
http://www1.american.edu/ted/neemtree.htm
Oh god how I love people who do their homework.

If you want to read about one of the real heroes of this war on nature, there is Vandana Shiva. I have followed her efforts for over ten years. Her passion and energy is unbelievable. To hear her speak is inspirational.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandana_Shiva

Latest posts